remington 870 question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gipper, Apr 11, 2004.

1. gipper

gipper New Member

I have an older remington 870 20 guage, it doesn't load all the time, when the lever (not sure if thats the correct term) is supposed to move over and let a new shell chamber, it gets hung on the shell and you have to either push it w/ your finger or push the shell back in the tube and let it go to get it to pop in. Any ideas to remedy this? The gun is in great shape, but until recently hasn't been fired in probably a good 15-20 years. Any help would be appreciated.

Always sad in the heat of a clay shootout to pump it and hear "click" cause it didn't load...
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

15 to 20 years ?!!!

I'd break that thing down and do a thoural cleaning AND replace every spring in it !!!!!

Seriously.....

mike
  3. gipper

gipper New Member

do yoiu know if that specific part I'm talking about is spring loaded? read somewhere that that magazine stop/loader is riveted to the body... $ounds $uper complicated
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

There are two shell latches (right and left) on the Remington 870, which are actuated by movement of the operating handle. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the basic concept. Both of these shell latches SHOULD be staked in place in their receiver mortise. The latches themselves are tempered as springs, there are no seperate springs powering them.

A good cleaning, first, is correct. Crud/rust/gunk can build up underneath the shell latch and cause it not to compress fully out of the way.

Let us know if that solves your problem.
  5. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Attached Files:

• 870.bmp
      File size:
      265.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Yeah, I'd say it was due for a good cleaning.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  7. gipper

gipper New Member

I'll totally dismantle it and let you know how it goes, its the left one thats givin me problems, hopefully a good cleaning will remedy the problem
    thanks for the help guys,
  8. gipper

gipper New Member

took it all apart, anyone know if the left magazine bar, (number 88 in the posted pic above) is supposed to be bent a little? Mine has a pretty dramatic curve to it, and I'm wondering if its so extreme that the action isn't pushing it enough out of the way everytime.
  9. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Going by the picture, I'd say it should be fairly straight. It might have a little bend in it if it is like my shotgun, but not very much. Mine's a differant model though, so i dont know if it'll help ya any. Ya might try straightening it out some if you're comfortable doing it. Could help, but might hurt, too. Good luck
  10. gipper

gipper New Member

bent that piece closer to beign straight, I think being so bent it was just to overpowering for the pump rails to really move it out of the way, seems to be cycling every time now, guess I might have to go shooting again next weekend and see
  11. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Let us know how it turns out, gipper.
  12. dcon12

dcon12 Active Member Supporting Member

I have every model 870 from 410 to 12. Never had a failure or a mis fire. Don