Remington Army 1861 Transitional Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Windycity, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Windycity

Windycity New Member

Just picked this up and have done my best to identify this gun. Appears to be the transitional gun between the 1861 Army and the New Army. Serial number 11233. In doing my research, I have found some online references to other transitional Army's but this on has a few different markings than those I have found online. Example, it has "SS" on the cylinder rather than just "S", it has "J" and "C" on the frame rather than "P" and "C", has an "R" before loading lever rather than an "F". The marks on the left side of barrel appear to be an "S" rather than a "P". Maybe all minor differences. The cylinder has what appears to be the remains of a serial number starting with at least two 0's if not three but from there I simply can't tell as there is corrosion which erased the rest. Welcome opinions about authenticity, additional background and approximate value. Thanks. Pat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. the yooper

the yooper New Member

looks like the real deal. but i'm sorry i cant help you.thanks for the blast from the past!! pick's are great.. i'm shure the guys hear can figure it out they are grate at this !!
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have never been sure exactly what a "transition" model is; that gun obviously has an older model barrel, simply a matter of the factory using up stock on hand. Otherwise, it looks to me like a standard New Model Army with the loading lever blocking the center pin, the safety notches in the cylinder, etc.

The serial number would be low for the NMA by some books (which give 15000 as a starting range), but if the Beals and 1861 Army are added together they come to only about 8,000 and the New Model continued from there.

(A lot of confusion is caused by Remington dropping the 1861 patent date on the newer gun, so folks call the NMA the "Model 1858", making it sound like it came before the Model 1861, when the reverse is true.)

The letters are those of Remington inspectors, and can be anything as employees came and went.

Maybe others would have better info, but in the condition that gun is in (in spite of replaced nipples, it really looks like it went through a war), I would give it a value of under $1000.

Jim