Remington Derringer

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tgillespie45, Jun 8, 2012.

1. tgillespie45

tgillespie45 New Member

Hi -- I've just acquired this derringer and have been trying to verify just what it is; items like what version, what's the likely age range, what the value might be.

It doesn't have a grip, although I think I've located one and will purchase. I've also seen a presentation box for these; seems to hold one or two guns and some cartridges. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm sure it's a Remington model 95 Derringer over/under model ( although I can't see how you choose which barrel to fire ).

On top of barrel it is marked: Remington Arms Co. Ilion, N.Y.
    On bottom of barrel hidden under part of trigger mechanism it has: 984
    Underneath the grip (grip missing now) it is marked: 4 84

These are the only marking I see on the gun.

It looks like a 1 piece extractor to me.

Any info you could provide I'd appreciate it. I more interested in the history of the gun than the $'s. I just like it -- don't think I'll ever fire it, although it seems to be in pretty good shape.

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is the one called the Type II or Model 3 double derringer. The 984 is not really a serial number as the numbers were repeated over and over on those guns; it might better be described as a batch number.

Now the bad news. The left side receiver "ear" is broken off, and the right side one appears to be cracked. That gun should not be fired at all.

Further, the gun has been heavily buffed, then "reblued" in a way that has resulted in the iron frame taking on a reddish cast which is not an original color. So the gun has about zero collectors value, and I hope you have not a lot in it.

There is no way of choosing which barrel fires first; every time the hammer is cocked, the barrel selector moves a notch, up or down, so which barrel fires is whichever didn't fire last.

Jim
  3. tgillespie45

tgillespie45 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply and great info. Glad you told me about the broken "ear" - I definitely would have never noticed it.