The Firearms Forum banner

Remington Golden Bullets were available at ....

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Cmax 
#1 · (Edited)
Walmart yesterday morning - 525 count bulk pack for $21.97. I thought, "What the heck - give 'em a try."

First, I got home and reboxed them in some old 100 count Remington trays I had in the shooting closet. Guess what - there were exactly 525 rounds in the box. That's a good start:

A close inspection indicated the rounds were uniform in crimp, dimensions, and lubrication coverage. Unfortunately, all of the bullets would turn in the case with gentle finger-tip pressure.

I had been wanting to give my Remington Model Five a bit of exercise and chose to take it to the range for a test with the 38 grain Hollow Point Golden Bullet ammunition. I set the Serbian rimfire in the Caldwell RockBR and rear bag and went to work at 50 yards. The rings are Leupold steel 11mm tip-off rings and the scope is a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32mm shotgun scope. It has always made for a fine rimfire optic.

The much maligned Golden Bullet ammo shot a bit worse than hoped but about as expected:

After group #8, I decided to zero for the Remington ammunition. If they had all been like groups numbered 5 and 7, I would have fainted.

I did not experience a single misfire with the 125 rounds of Golden Bullet fired this morning.

I shot three 5-round magazine fulls of Golden Bullet at the 1.5" spinner offhand from 50 yards to finish up and, as I always try to do, get off the bench. It's a tough little offhand target but I managed to hit it five times out of the fifteen shots. Below, is a two out of five run. The 1.5" disk is in the center of the video but near the top just below the lower right corner of the white target backer. I could only see the targeted spinner by scrolling to the prompts at the bottom and hitting the fullscreen double-arrows - good luck.

http://vid47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/IMG_1238_zpsd91hglam.mp4

As a control, I pulled out a box of Wolf Match Target. After a first/transition/seasoning group, the 2nd and 3rd Wolf groups were so tight, I decided to re-zero the rifle/scope combo with the Wolf MT. I'll save the Golden Bullet for the Marlin 81T and Marlin 60 to be fired in the next family get-together plinking extravaganza.

See less See more
#3 ·
Once again, fine shooting.

Reactions: Danny Creasy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.