remington hepburn 32-30 ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by goofy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Just had a person call looking for 32-30 ammo for his remington hepburn other then chamber casting how can he get ammo? Any ideas? is .357 max. brass the same it looks shorter .005 Is there any co. that has caseings or even makes 32-30 (That would be to easy)I told him I that i know how to find the ansers.ASK THE PROS so i am asking.:)
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

According to Cartridges of the World, 2nd Edition, 1969:

First made in November 1884. Died out in 1912. Too long for the actions of the short repeaters (like the Winchester 92), but too short for the longer action repeaters, so when repeaters gained in popularity it just - didn't.

"Ammunition can be made by reforming .357 Magnum brass".

It lists three loads, one using 4759 powder (I never heard of that one), one using FF and the factory load, so they were still loading it as late as 1968.

Found this on another board, about using magnum brass.
    >It should be noted that .357 Magnum parent cases will produce a very short case - 1.29" instead of the 1.64" of the "real thing".<

With Maximum brass being 1.605, looks like it would be the best bet. Yeah, you'll be 35/1000 short, but just set the bullet out a little.

I'd go with a chamber cast, myself. Old gun in a cartridge that's been obsolete for a hundred years, and there is a really good chance it's been rechambered. Be nice to make sure.

They're worth a bit of money. He sure he wants to shoot it? I would if it was mine, but heck, I'm weird that way.
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Thanks ALPO do you know if any body has any of this ammo or brass for .32-30? and if not is brownells casting cerrosafe alloy good i have heard it may not be. I have not casted befor so is it something i should try?(I am a gunsmith) But i have not gotten into this because i have never been asked to.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011