Remington M760 {1960's} in .223 Rem

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 436, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 436

436 New Member

I came into possession of an all original Remington Model 760 in .223 Rem with extra magazine... I'd say it was NRA 98% plus. The rifle was made in the 1960's from what I understand; it also has a Redfield 3x9 Royal from the 60's in great shape.
    I was thinking of selling it??? But, thought I'd see what they were worth first.
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

This rifle is a 760 ADL, and it is from the early 70's by the way. It looks to be in very nice condition. SC of Firearms lists it as $550 for 100% $500 for 95%. But you should add $100 for the .223 chambering, as it commands a premium. SO around $600 would be fair I think.

Regards, Kirk
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I'm right there with 300 H&H concerning value. Having seen quite a few 760s sell over the past few years (here in PA where semi-auto rifles are not allowed for hunting, the 760s are one of the favorite brush guns), the AVERAGE retail is in the $500 to $600 range for pieces in V.G. to Low EXC. condition. Rem. .223 chambering is not all that common around here and .308 is a desired gun in Penn's Woods.
  4. 436

436 New Member

Hey funny thing, a guy from another site said; that the M760 Gamemaster I have, was worth far more, even more than the .222 Rem version. I think he obtained his information from Blue Book of Gun Values???? or some auction house I’m not sure.

He said; a lot of the Rem M870 guy’s who like to Coyote/Varmint hunting; who’ll take both rifle and shotgun to the field, snap them up like crazy, if they can find one, do to the operation of the rifles being the same as the Rem 870 shogun. He added; that the M760 in either .222 Rem or .223 Rem were extremely accurate for pump guns, with the .223 Rem having better range. I can see their point as a rifle/shotgun combo. I mean really; what would be sweeter than a fast handling .12ga & .223 Rem in the same rifle on those blinds.

He said; that my rifle was a M760 .223 Rem ADL… a very “{limited} manufactured run” of rifles between 1964 & 1969 about five years. He said each year of it mfg they only made a small run, very few.

Whereas the .222 Rem in M760 was a full run… he said; that the .223 version is the rarest by far, adding that the .222 Rem in M760 Gamemaster was a “regular manufacture run” from 1958 to 1961 just over 4 years, also adding; that far more were made in numbers over the .223 Rem version.

He thought a good .222 Rem M760 might go for between $900 and $1200.00 the .223 Rem for about $1050.00 and $1450.00 depending on NRA %
    Not to mention the very hard to find .223 Rem magazines.

Thanks again for the input… I still may put it up on the block, there must be a savvy yote hunter out there somewhere with a M870 in his rack.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

There is usually a reason that a utility type item is made in smaller quantities - and that is not to make IT scarce, rare or collectible. It is because demand for it is not very high.

And thanks for sharing all that info that the guy from the other forum site told you.
  6. 436

436 New Member

I agree, I don’t think they were trying to make "IT" scarce, I think they were trying to reach another market(s) at that time.

First I believe most the State's in the 60's allowed the .223 Rem as a game cartridge, and a few still do... like the State of Idaho. Up into the 70's you could still hunt deer in Washington Sate with a .223 Rem

Second was the varmint boy's... who also wanted too use it has a general game rifle.

Third was a push for LEO market... this is the market I believe they were really aiming at; that was about the time the FBI started to adopt the Rem M760 in .308 Win for their designated marksman program aka: snipers, however; that rifle was replaced before it was deep in use by’.., the bolt action Rem & Win rifles. The Rem M760 .308 Win became a training tool at the academy for agents. Many comments from agents, indicated that the M760 .308 Win had fine accuracy and was very fast on target for follow up shots; most came with Bausch & Lomb 3x9 scopes and B&L's great old mount.

I think what killed the program was the lack of LEO sales; they wanted to see LEO with the M760 in .308 & .223 along side the M870 .12ga for all the G-rides, the direction the FBI would go in those day’s, would bring all the other LEO Dept’s following. Can't blame them, it looked like a great idea back then.
    Just my .02
    Thanks for your input.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Thanks for the additional rifle info. My "interpretation" of the pump center fire rifles has always been in the realm of hunting - ALTHOUGH - I can certainly see where LEAs of that era would have been attracted to them (I like pump action rifles and carbines). It seems to me, that all of that (pump actions) went by the bye when the Fed Gov't began making M16s and AR15s available on a below cost basis. The FBI seems to be the "trend" setter when it comes to firearms and "acceptable" ammo for use in them. For good or bad, that is the way it is.
    Thanks again.
  9. 436

436 New Member

Bindernut,
    Thank you for the thread. Looks like Remington hatched this one on August 1967.

Jim,
    Agree; the M16/AR15 rifles are pretty hard to beat this day's. However there are some things the pump can offer that the semi auto and full auto’s can't. This may have been one of the reasons Remington came out with the Model 7615P Pump patrol rifle, using the M16/AR15 magazines. I think they still see the combo of there M870 and the .223 & .308 in a rifle for the LEO guy's working patrol. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised, some day to see the same concept in a .308 Win M760 using a M14 or AR10 magazine down the road. Browning did it with their tactical BAR

There are many City, County's and State’s that would prefer their personnel not use semi or full auto weapons on a patrol level.... SWAT gets the race horse, training and the go fast guns while, Patrol gets work horse and shotgun. Put enough rounds in a pump rifle and it’s a very formidable weapon platform, shotgun or rifle on the two way range.
    It’s far easier training Officers with the manual pump gun, cheaper as well, safer, less accidents both on the street and the training range.
    The City fathers, City Attorneys and Supervisors are always thinking of the vicarious liability in law suits against them and the Officers; especially over throwing lead around town.

Well, with that said; I think I’ll hold onto it for awhile, see if I can find a nice M760 in .308 Win hopefully made about the same time, along with a nice M870 riot shotgun of the same vintage, I’ll make a trio out of them... Be something kind of fun to take to the range now and then.
    Cheers.