Remington Model 11

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Ricky989, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Ricky989

Ricky989 New Member

Hi guys
    I couple years ago I inherented a Remington Model 11 from my great grandfather. Took it hunting a couple times and to a couple shooting compititions.. SHOOTS GREAT!! But unfortunately the last time I shot it the forend stock split right down the middle and I need to get it replaced. I realize that since the gun was manufactured in January of 1922 finding parts wasn't gonna be easy...so I started by going to my local gunsmith. He looked at it and told me that he isn't allowed to work on my gun AT ALL because it's missing a "nylon bushing" that is a required safety feature. I'll be honest I don't know alot about gun parts but I'm eager to learn... All I know is.. I have an awesome gun that I can't get fixed because of a "liability" issue. I asked him if he could install a bushing for me and he said that NO gunsmith will touch my gun if the bushing isn't already in there... I don't really have to knowlage to take the gun apart and install one myself... Anyone have any suggestions on what to do about the bushing and/or finding a replacement forend stock?

Thanks Ricky
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Horse pucky. That's just embarrassing (not for you, to the idiot "gunsmith").

Taking an unsafe gun and making it safe is exactly what a gunsmith is supposed to do.

The only "nylon bushing" in the gun is a fiber cushion that is riveted in place. It is NOT a do-it-yourself job. We are in Texas and can handle that repair, replace the forend and generally go through the gun to make sure everything else is OK. Just click on our user name on the left side of this post to send a Private Message or contact us through our website HERE.
  3. Ricky989

Ricky989 New Member

Would that be an expensive procedure? And I live a few hours away... Would it be something that could be done in a short amount of time? Or would I have to drop it off for a while?
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

You just got a classic answer from a gunsmith that knows nothing about that gun. Thats a total line of BS and he had to make an excuse why he couldn't work on it. Basically he said that if the safety's don't work he won't work on it and the exact reason why you need to take it to a gunsmith. If all we did was do mods on working guns, we'd be all out of business.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Contact JLA too if SC is a drive for you. He's a smith out of Josua Tx just south of FW.
  6. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

We would need the gun for a couple of weeks. Can't put it ahead of the folks that have been waiting the last couple of weeks, after all.

It would be a ship-in/ship-out deal which we do all the time. Ball park estimate is $100 plus return shipping but we would send you an exact quote once we get inside it. I'm suspicious of the friction piece and ring as well.
  7. Ricky989

Ricky989 New Member

Thanks man, what is JLA? I was looking up a gunsmith in Joshua and didn't see anything? And SC you sound like a pretty stand up guy... If I can't find the parts or service I need I'll head your direction.
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

JLA is a forum moderator. he works out of a place called Off Duty if I remember correctly. He'll chime in I'm sure. Not that I'm trying to take work from SC, I know he can do it but I know its a drive.
  9. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Is the Remington Model 11 the Remington version of the Browning Auto-5? Or is it that older semi-auto shotgun with checkering on the barrel for cocking? Because if it is the Auto-5 clone, that gunsmith is really sad.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Burleson Great Guns actually Helix. But I do venture into Jims place at Off Duty from time to time.

Ricky, it sounds to me like you went to visit Murle in Granbury or the folks at Elk Castle. Either smith just wants the easy work. Trigger jobs, clean ups and factory ship offs and such.

I dont remember ever laying my hands on a rem 11 in my smithin career (mostly 11-48s and 11-87s and the modern 1100) but Id be glad to try and help you out.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

heres the rem 11.

Attached Files:

12. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Wow, that is the Auto-5 copy! (I apologize for asking here instead of doing a Google search.) If that "gunsmith" can't work on that, what can he work on?
  13. BillM

BillM Active Member

Just a FYI to show how full of $%&T the gunsmith is---Your gun was built
    in 1922 and is missing a nylon part? Nylon wasn't invented until 1935.
  14. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

It is not nylon, it is compressed fiber. The Remington 11 has them, the Browning A5 does not. The fiber cushion is secured to the inside rear of the receiver with a blind rivet. When I've seen these broken there is usually a fragment of the old buffer still riveted to the receiver.

With the cracked forend and the broken/missing fiber cushion I really suspect the gun was fired extensively with either the friction pieces placed incorrectly and/or the magazine tube oiled. Whoever works on this gun also needs to carefully inspect the bolt for cracks.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep. think of it as an ancient shock buffer for the bolt to bump into as the action cycles.