Remington Model 12 Firing Pin Spring Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wild800, Jan 6, 2010.

1. wild800

wild800 New Member

I am working on an old Model 12 which I haven't had any experience with. My Lt. asked me to fix it because I am the dept armorer...but I only know newer Shotguns AR15 and pistols.

It came with missing parts, a broken firing pin, one missing firing pin retaining pin, firing pin spring and the guide were missing as well. Once I was able to break it down I found the parts nomenclature and pic on line to see what was missing and ordered the parts and the the owners manual...except I wasn't able to get the firing pin retaining pin. I am going have to substitute with a roll pin.

My question is about the firing pin spring and guide...how and exactly where are they fitted between the two retaining pins? Since I never saw it assembled correctly, I am guessing the forward pin fits through the notch on the firing pin (facing out left) and the rear pin fits through the oval hole/slot in the pin?

Hope my question makes sense to someone, and praying for a picture!

Thanks
  2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

3. wild800

wild800 New Member

Well Shrek, thanks anyways. I got the answer on another forum...and it the spring and plunger go in that oval cut-out on the firing pin. I work swings so I got that done a few hours ago, and then couldn't get the darn locking block to lock up to the action bar. Going to give it another try tomorrow, and hoping there aren't some more missing parts that I just aint seein.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I think you got it but here you go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  5. wild800

wild800 New Member

Thanks Helix, still having problems getting the locking block to marry up with the action bar...could be I am not getting some trick to setting it in place, or there are more parts missing that I am just not seeing. In my online search for Model 12 knowledge, I have seen a few other people asking how to reassemble this weapon so I am hoping it is the trick...but I have also found quite a few places to get parts too.

I am taking it next week for a visit to a gunsmith I know who is willing to just have a look and give me some advice because I really want to finish this myself.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

My memory cells are working overtime, but I think there is a plunger on that spring and the pointed end of the plunger fits into a groove around the pin to hold the pin in. You will probably have to make a pin, not just use a roll pin.

(This is the same idea as the way the bottom of the mainspring retainer pin fits into the annular groove in the mainspring housing pin on a Model 1911 pistol.)

Jim
  7. wild800

wild800 New Member

There was a plunger with the spring, but the pointed end just goes inside of the spring and the flat top end is on the outside of the spring, so when you place the pin in it goes between the flat top of the spring and the firing pin. I was able to get the roll pin to hold it in place. It seems to be functioning ok, but I went ahead and ordered the correct pins from Numrich.

As for the reason the bolt wont marry up to action bar well it turns out the that a piece of the bolt (I think I have seen it described as the shoulder) right above the extracter is sheered right off.

So I ordered a new bolt, and a new extracter and spring to go with the new firing pin and spring. I feel like a rock head because I had some pictures of the bolt, and didn't notice it. I noticed the metal was rough in that area, but just thought it was something in the way they used to make guns.

I am learning alot off this gun! Thanks to all of you for answering all my questions!!!
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010