Remington Model 14

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 2, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/02 10:49:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Remingtion .32 rem. pump rifle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looking for a approx. value on a Remingtion 32 Rem. pump rifle. Serial # C414#. It has a peep sight as well as open sights and is in excellent condition. He also has a box of shells for it and the shells look like they are really old.
    He's interested in insuring his collection and is having a hard time finding a value for this rifle. thanks.

Hardrada55
    (11/20/02 11:12:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del .32 caliber Remington Model 14
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looks like you have a nice Remington Model 14. In excellent condition I would expect it to have 80% or better of it's original blue and wood finish. If it has 80% blue and wood finish, should go for $250 to $350. May go for more though in your neck of the woods, i.e. Maine. Does it have factory checkering on the grip? If so, it might be a Model 14-C grade rifle and worth a little more. The peep sight will add a little to the value too. What kind is it, a Lyman, Marble's? As for the ammo, what brand? Two piece or one piece box? Full of original ammo? Sealed or opened? Could be worth a little money also. I saw your deer in the hunting forum! Nice. Do you ever see any nice Remington Model 8s?

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/02 11:28:29 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .32 caliber Remington Model 14

Quote:
    Looks like you have a nice Remington Model 14. In excellent condition I would expect it to have 80% or better of it's original blue and wood finish. If it has 80% blue and wood finish, should go for $250 to $350. May go for more though in your neck of the woods, i.e. Maine. Does it have factory checkering on the grip? If so, it might be a Model 14-C grade rifle and worth a little more. The peep sight will add a little to the value too. What kind is it, a Lyman, Marble's? As for the ammo, what brand? Two piece or one piece box? Full of original ammo? Sealed or opened? Could be worth a little money also. I saw your deer in the hunting forum! Nice. Do you ever see any nice Remington Model 8s?

I'm asking for my granddad, its not my rifle. I don't live in Maine, just go to see the family and hunt once a year.
    I'll check it out and take notes next year.
    The 14's that I see on GB and AA are going for alot more than $350 and my granddads is in much better shape than those.
    I'll tell him to insure it for $500 to be safe. Thanks.

Hardrada55
    (11/20/02 12:06:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Remington Model 14
    I see alot of Remington Model 14-As on AA and GB too. I see alot being OFFERED for $350 or more. I don't see that many SELLING for $350 or more. The only ones that I see that go for alot more than $350 are the carbines, (Model 14R) and Model 14 rifles with the old "thumbnail safety" on the bolt. Now those Model 14s will definately go for more than what I said earlier. Is your Granddad's Model 14 a carbine or does it have the "thumbnail safety"? If it is any one of those and is in as good a shape as you say, $500 isn't enough. I'd insure for $750.

cal414
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/20/02 6:27:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Remington Model 14
    Hardrada55,
    First, thanks for all the great information. ref: thumbnail saftey, yes, his has the little button that you have to push in order to open the action. It used to pinch my finger when I was a kid. Now I've moved up to Garand thumb [ ]
    His 14 is not a carbine.
    I was under the impression that all the 14's and 141's had the button on the bolt. Does this really increase the value as much as you say? How about on the 141's? Same deal? His 141 has the same button but its chambered in 35 Rem.
    Wish I had some pics. I'll work on getting a few. I'd really like to know more about these rifles...they are getting more interesting!
    I know that my GG granddad paid $8.00 for the rifle and a box of shells brand new. He was born in 1898 and its seen lots of woods since then. Shells are kind of hard to find for it so I don't shoot it. Can you get any more info from the serial #?
    Its C414#. Looking forward to your response!

Hardrada55
    (11/21/02 12:05:27 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thumb safety
    Here is a link to an auction with pictures which is for a gun with a "thumb safety". Not all Remington Model 14s have the thumb safety. They only used it for a couple of years before going with the safety on the trigger guard.
    www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=3494560.

I don't think your gun has this "thumb safety" because the "thumb safety" is different from the button you push to open the breech. The "thumb safety" was only on the Remington Model 14, not the 141. I find .32 Remington ammo occasionally in hardware stores in small towns. They quit making it in 1977. Regards
  2. JamesJGS

JamesJGS New Member

What hurts the value is the same thing that hurts the value of my Model 141 in .32 Remington. That is the fact that it is chambered in .32 Remington. I hand load ALL of mine as what you can buy is too old to shoot or too much money.
  3. wacker

wacker New Member

Hi, New Guy, first post ever! I also have a Remington model 14. Mine is 30Cal. it has both thumbnail safety and trigger guard safety. I don't know if it is a carbine. The barrel is short, 21". It has a twisted magazine tube. The gun is in working condition but fairly worn and has a small crack in the butt stock. I have a full box of remington shells, probably purchased in the 1980,s. Any idea on value.
    Thanks
  4. GordyTheCook

GordyTheCook New Member

can any one tell me how to take down my 14?
    I cant seem to figure it out and I know I am the first one to handle it in 20 years because it was my grandfathers, I think it a little stiff witch might be part of my problem.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member