Remington Model 14C opinions/advice

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Ruger2506, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Ruger2506

Ruger2506 New Member

I am looking for some advice. I have a pair of Remington Model 14 C rifles (I believe as the model is not stamped on the rifles). One chambered in .35 Remington and one in .30 Remington. I haven't shot (or attempted to shoot) either rifle in about 20 years. There are just to many other rifles for me to play with. However as I am older (and supposedly wiser) now, there is a nostalgia about these rifles and I am thinking I would like to take some deer with them (and hopefully my son sometime in his distant future).

The .30 Rem works fine and I just need to reload some rounds for it and possibly find original sights sound get it sighted in.

The .35 Rem broke down (I don't remember what broke) and it has been sitting on the mantle as a conversation piece for about 20 years.

My question, is the .35 Rem worth anything and worth the time, effort and cost to fix or are these Model 14 rifles just a whatever gun? Is it worth it or should the .35 Rem stay on the mantle for another 20 years. All the mechanics appear to operate (nothing is jammed up).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

In 2007 I paid 310 for mine, in 35 Remington. I believe the 35 to be the more valuable of the two, because ammo is available for it. That means somebody would be more likely to buy it. Not only is the 30 a "reload only" thing, but brass is getting harder and harder to come by.

If it was the 30 that was broke, I'd say leave it broke. But the 35? I believe you oughta fix it.
  3. Ruger2506

Ruger2506 New Member

I actaully have a lot of brass and 4 full boxes of factory ammo for the .30 REm. So I am good there. Plus it was Grandapa's rifle back in the 30s. I have pics of him holding the rifle with deer and bear on the hanging pole. So that makes it special.

I am not really interested in selling them, at least not soon. More interested in using them.

Thanks for the insight.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

"So that makes it special. " Yep.
  5. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

There is a fellow over on the remington society forums (nambujim) that works on the 14/141s exclusively , and has parts for them (big deal) that haven't been made in 50 years . There are very few smiths around that are familiar with these rifles , and their quirks . Check out The Remington Society of America and contact Jim , he'll get that old girl running again for you ! I have 2 141s in .35 Rem. , they are great guns , I too like the nostalgia of the older guns !
  6. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 New Member

The .35 will be the easiest to sell. The cartridge lifter is the most common problem that I've seen. Its definitely worth the money to repair it.