Remington model 1889 10 gauge double barrel shootgun

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by n2trophies, Sep 12, 2010.

1. n2trophies

n2trophies New Member

Hi; I'm new so expect mistakes. I have the above shootgun; someone probably put it against a tree and pulled both triggers. The butstock is shattered. I also need one fireing pin. Does anyone have a source to replace thes parts? Thanks S.D. Head; n2wartrophies@aol.com
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

man, i wanna see pictures... just cause i love guns, especially this model
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

4. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

If your dbl gun has wire-twist or Damascus bbls, I would caution you about shooting it (if it was actually built at the turn of the century). Because of the procedure in making, they will not withstand pressures of todays loads. Bbls made in this manner will "rot" from the inside out due to microscopic voids in the steel that oxidize over time. I have seen sides blown out and muzzles split due to shooting these oldies. A good source for wood would be The Great AMerican Gun Stock Co. in Yuba City Calif. Henry would most prob have and orginal pattern. Good luck.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Unless the gun is otherwise in near new condition and is one of the higher grades, it might not be worth fixing. The grade is stamped on the water table (the flat part of the receiver under the barrels) and runs 1 (cheapest) to 7 (best quality and highly engraved).

Making a stock or even fitting a semi-finished stock for a double is a challenging job and folks who can do it get well paid. So get a solid estimate before having the work done, and also get a good evaluation of the gun's value. Spending $1000 on a gun worth $100 is not good economics.

Jim