Remington Model-24, 22 short

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MSGT-R, Nov 4, 2012.

1. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I have a 1916 (?) Model-24 that appears to be a one-time refugee of a shooting gallery. The upper ridge of the buttstock has a small square notch that looks like it was for a plate and chain to keep it from "walking". It's not fancy, but it's tight and shoots well. Would it be best to leave it alone or refinish it? What's it worth?

Attached Files:

2. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

More pictures:

Attached Files:

3. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

Remington Model 24 Autoloading Rifle, .22 S or LR, 19" bbl, open sights, Browning semi-auto design, bottom ejection, tube mag thru buttstock, takedown, plain pistol grip stock, 131,000 mfg, 1922-35. $300-400 collector value. If you keep it as a shooter with no intention of reselling and refinish it, value drops to $150-200.
    My opinion: Don't refinish and enjoy shooting it.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is in quite good condition as is. Any attempt to "improve" it would actually decrease its value. Shooting it won't hurt the value at all.

Jim
  5. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Thanks guys!
    Everytime I see a dirty weapon, I want to roll up my sleeves and get it cleaned up.
    I'll resist the urge.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Cleaning a "dirty" gun is not the same as refinishing one. By all means keep that gun clean; but forget about the steel wool and cold blue and sanding the stock.

Jim
  7. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It looks beautiful just the way it is, don't refinish it. I have one and love it. Someone before me refinished the wood so it is what it is, but I wish they had left it alone.