remington model 31

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by munky4121, Feb 5, 2007.

1. munky4121

munky4121 New Member

i have a model 31 remington 12 gauge that my grandfather bought new in 1947. it is in ecellent condition (by ecellent i mean it still has the stickers on the stock that say remington 12 guage) all the numbers match and there is no rust. it was used to hunt when he owned it but since then it has been sitting pretty in my safe. any ideas on a value. i dont want to part with it but i might insure it.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Do you know which grade Model 31 it is?
  3. munky4121

munky4121 New Member

i am not sure i will have to look when i get home from work
  4. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Howdy munky4121. Welcome to the asylum.
  5. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

Guns back then were not sold by grade. By that what I mean is that when people bought a gun to hunt with. It was usually the cheapest gun that they could find in the gauge they wanted to hunt with. The manufacturer that they wanted to make the gun and the style of gun they wished to purchase.

Because of it's age, I wouldn't reccomend you hunting with it unless you were willing to take the risk of something breaking and not being able to buy replacement parts.

There was nothing special about the Model 31 and your best bet is to insure it for what ever you think that it is worth. Sentimental value is probably worth a lot more to a insurance company than the actual value of the gun.

Truthfully it probably isn't worth much more than $150 - $250
  6. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  7. munky4121

munky4121 New Member

THANKS FOR THE INFO.
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I don't know what you are thinking of Rifleman but the Remington Model 31 had 15 different models and grades produced from that time line.
    V509 likes this.
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi munky4121......welcome to TFF.

Parts for the Model 31 are readily available from Numrich/Gunparts Corp:
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=0860z31&MC=

And, according to the Blue Book, values for the Model 31, depending on condition, model and grade, can vary from $150 to $2,100.
  10. gmac

gmac New Member

just wondering what a mod 31 with a serial # 718 would be worth
  11. model70man

model70man New Member

In WV Model 31 Remingtons are highly desirable and bring a premium price, usually more than a Model 12 Winchester.
  12. Dustman47

Dustman47 New Member

Contrary to another post the Remington Model 31 was made in a number of different grades and models. The following list is directly from the Remingtion website. Different grades and models will bring different values with the more rare grades and models obviously commanding higher prices. I hope this helps. To determine which grade or model simply look on the side of the receiver, above the serial number and use the codes below.

31A
    31AC
    31AP – Standard Grade
    31B – Special Grade
    31D – Tournament Grade
    31E – Expert Grade
    31F – Premier Grade
    31H – Hunter's Special
    31P – Police Grade
    31R – Riot Grade
    31 Skeet
    31D Skeet Tournament
    31E Skeet Expert
    31F Skeet Premier
    31 Trap Special Grade
    31S-D Trap Tournament
    31S-E Trap Expert
    31S-F Trap Premier
    31TC Trap (or Tournament) Grade
    31T-D Target Tournament
    31T-E Target Expert
    31T-F Target Premier
  13. cudzue

cudzue New Member

I have a Model 31 12 ga pump, serial number 50210 on both the receiver and barrel. I acqiured this gun from the gov't sale at Schofield Barracks, HI in about Oct-Nov 1954 and shipped it home to my father. To my knowledge, it was used only twice shooting (at) doves and the remainder of time it has been in a zip-up case leaning against a corner in his closet until he passed on back in Jun 2002. Since then, it has been leaning against a corner in my closet. There is no grade suffix code following the model number on the receiver, but there is an Army Ordnance symbol stamped on the receiver approx 3/8 inch to the right of the SN. I would have no reservations about taking it to the field and firing any number of shells. How can I find out when this gun was made?
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  14. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

15. cudzue

cudzue New Member