Remington model 33 .22LR mfg. date???

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by huston_farms, Nov 4, 2010.

1. huston_farms

huston_farms New Member

I have recently acquired an old Remington model 33. It was found stored overhead in an old barn for quite a long time. The rifle has no serial number. I found the mfg code of DZ stamped on the barrel ahead of the stock. According to Remington's date codes it would have been made in September of 1931. The model 33 wasn't introduced, according to Remington, until 1932. Also, there is a number 5 on the side of the bolt. Does anyone have any further information that may help me to figure out where this rifle falls within the some 263,000 others made? the only other marking on it are what looks like this- (. behind the DZ.
  2. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

It would help if you had a picture.

If you visit the Remington Society Index page, there is a paid Remington Representative that will answer all your questions.
    If you take it apart far enough, you will find a serial number on most firearms.
  3. huston_farms

huston_farms New Member

Thanks for your reply. I've had the rifle completely apart and there are no other numbers anywhere other than what i've described. The Remington site is where i found the information that i have thus far. Being found in a barn on my friends family farm, it was pretty rough when i started working on it. I know they aren't worth much. You have to manually cock the bolt once its loaded and is single shot. My 6 yr. old daughter should be able to shoot it without any proplem due to its short length of pull. She's pretty good with her pink Daisy Red Rider... and this Remington will probably be her next step in shooting. There was another rifle that was found with the Remington. Its a JC Higgins model 30. Its a heck of a nice little 22 that isnt worth too much either. I've cleaned it up and its a great shooter also.
  4. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

You need to buy a Lottery Ticket. Those Remington 33s are really great little .22s. I think they are just about the perfect rifle for teaching a kid about gun safety and getting them into shooting. That manual cocking feature is just about the coolest feature to have for a youngster's first rifle. Teaches them to slow down and make the shot count. AND they are a classic.

Congrats on that find! With no pictures it's hard to guess at a value, but if it's all there and shootable, I'd start with $75 as a guess. Might go up to double that, depending on condition, at a Gun Show or private sale. They are really simple to work on. Just don't over do the wood sanding (if required). I've re-blued .22 single shots that were pretty rusty, and they came out fairly well with those Birchwood Casey kits. Just follow the instructions and take your time. You can have a Gunsmith do it, but that would run about as much as the gun is worth.