Remington Model 7400 trouble's

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by smokepole2, Oct 18, 2010.

1. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Sorry to hear this....most times the Browning is a good bet. your rifle is probably suffering from a bit of neglect in the cleaning department. as with the 7400, they are a bit of a pain until you are familiar with the disassembly process. The little bolt catch can sometimes be a trouble maker. You might try dropping the trigger group and going at all you can see with Gun Scrubber, blow it out and apply rem Oil then blow that out. Hopefully, no one has taken it apart and bent the action rods; which I doubt. Be sure that you dont get the scrubber on the wood; most times it is safe but I did have it try to lift the finish on one gun. Also check to see that it is not tryng to catch on the mag when coming forward.
  2. smokepole2

smokepole2 New Member

gunplumber,
    I drove 40 miles to the gunsmith to fix it. It was the auto shutter spring!! It had just gotton so weak it wasn't doing its job.With a 5minute adjustment I am back in business.. LOL
  3. smokepole2

smokepole2 New Member

Man!! so far I really like the browning bar over the remington 7400's and I have had several 7400's and own a safe full of remingtons!! LOL
  4. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

smokepole2

Auto shutter? Do you mean bolt cover?

Glad to hear it was a simple fix. A friend just bought an older BAR at the local "Buyer Beware Show" for 500.00; got it home aand found the average group size for 2 ammos tried running close to 5in at 100. I called Browning yesterday to see if they would rebbl it and was quoted a price of 6-900.00 dep on model. I told him I could have sold him a boat paddle a lot cheaper than that if I'd known he was looking for one. Sounds like you made a better deal.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Re: that BAR with a 5" group. Unless that gun has been shot out, it could be just badly fouled. I suggest checking the barrel and maybe using one of those electric cleaners (some gunsmiths have them or they can be made at home), then see if the gun shoots any better. I will say that 4" is considered within specs for most sporting rifles. (Most will shoot better, but if it does 4" the factory considers it OK.)

Jim
  6. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Jim K

10yrs ago Rem told me that 3in at 100 was within specs. My personal opinion is that if you will only guarantee rock chunkin accuracy, you need to rethink your mfg standards. Be that as it may, not a single one of my customers would be happy with that and thank goodness most of these rifles will do better on a regular basis. The owner is a notible shooter; 7th in the nation in 1983 in Sporting Clays, shoots a handgun like the LoneRanger and target shoots with a rifle at 600 on a regular basis. He is one of a handfull of folks that when he calls saying he has a gun problem, I know for certain that's just what it is. His guns stay clean enough you wouldn't be afraid to suck a milkshake thru em. I will almost quarantee the bbl is shot. It just chaps my cakes when folks sell junk to unsuspecting buyers at these shows. A friend of mine caught a seller trying to sell a 38 with a 44 cal bbl on it. That was quite the conversation........
  7. pricedo

pricedo New Member

Autoloaders need more TLC than other action types

DU YAH THINK ?? :rolleyes:

I had a 742 Woodsmaster in .30-06 Sprng. since the early 70's that NEVER jammed once and gave me a consistent, passable 1.5-2 MOA accuracy. I sold it in the mid 90's during a cash crunch between jobs.
    The previous owner complained that it was jamming alot & I got it fairly cheap.
    As it turns out it's a good thing it was jamming because the action was so filthy with built up crud that it's a wonder it didn't explode in his face.
    I religiously stripped that 742 down every year before hunting season & cleaned every part & then applied a drop of high quality light machine oil & worked it through the action & never had a problem with malfunctions, jams or misfires for almost 2 solid decades. After the first couple of times it only takes a few minutes for the cleaning/lubing operation.
    A couple of hunting seasons later the current owner of the 742 called me on the phone & cussed me out saying I ripped him off because his gun worked good for a while & the last time he was at the range it was always jamming. I asked him how many times he had stripped & cleaned the gun since he bought it from me. Well never he stuttered. Then I called him a few uncomplimentary explicatives & told him not to bother me any more & hung up the phone on him.
    I owned a 7400 in .308 Win. for about 3 years & never had a problem while using the same yearly maintenance/lubing regimen.
    I sold off all my semi-automatic center fires last year because I don't believe in the practice of spraying the woods with bullets to make up for poor shooting skill & shot placement.
    I'm a strictly bolt action hunter now & seldom need more than one shot.
    The point of this saga is that guns, especially auto-loaders with their intricate moving parts & complex mechanisms, unlike women don't run on pure love & a thorough yearly cleaning, lubrication & preventative maintenance regimen will usually keep your 742s, 7400s & 750s functioning trouble free for many years.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  8. usmc07

usmc07 New Member

This is a common problem with these guns over time the disconnector may pop over the action bar causing the hammer not to cock when there is pressure on the trigger.

If you remove your trigger group from the gun (drift out two pins that hold it in place). Look on the left side of the trigger group where the action bar and disconnector are located see if the disconnector (silver piece coming off the trigger) is sitting on top of the action bar. if it is not this is what is causing your hammer to not stay cocked when your finger is on the trigger. To fix this drift out the pin that holds your trigger in place (bottom back of trigger assembly) from RIGHT to LEFT. Lift up on trigger and gently pry the disconnector up so it sits on top of the end of the action bar. Reinstall the pin through the trigger and pull the trigger, then with pressure still on the trigger the hammer should stay cocked. If this doesn't work or you don't feel comfortable with doing it yourself take it to a gunsmith in your area.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Smokepole 2,

First you have trouble with a Remington, then with a Browning. Ever consider forgetting about guns and taking up knitting as a hobby? ;)

Jim
  10. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

I much prefer the pumps over the semi autos . The term "reliable semi auto " is seldom heard . Sounds to me like the OP needs to buy new guns instead of used , and maybe give up on semi autos all together . I work on a lot of them , but won't even buy and sell them , because I know they'll be coming back when they jam ! The reason there are so many 742s and 7400s on the market is because they have let someone down at some point . When you buy a used one you're just paying someone for their problems !
  11. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Really a electric (sonic?) gun cleaner?? Homemade?? Got a ref. where I can get a tech spec or drawing????