The Firearms Forum banner

Remington NM Army-Additional Markings

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jondar 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a NM Army revolver, SN 92010, that has the additional markings "A5315" stamped on the underside of the barrel just prior to the SN and the number "5" just after the SN. These letters/numbers appear hand stamped and are not as uniform as the serial numbers. On the bottom steel strap of the butt are stamped (?) three small letters "USN". Can anyone provide information as to these additional markings? I would also like to know the approximate date of manufacture of this pistol. Some additional information: There is the inspector's letter "A" on the trigger guard and evidence of cartouches (the oval outline) on both grips.

Best,
Joe

#2 ·
Just a wild guess on the DOM would be 1864. The USN could be a Navy stamp. I applied for a "factory letter" from Remington for my 1858 several years ago and at that time there was no charge. Probably is one now. Not sure which inspector "A" would have been, I have these somewhere, will try to look it up. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.