Remington no. 6 dom

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Rusty Dusty, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Rusty Dusty

Rusty Dusty New Member

Hello all, I ve recently picked up another Remington .22. I bought a #4 rolling block awhile back and really enjoy shooting it. Now I've run across a #6 falling block (not the improved model). It's a bit rough, poor bore, metal finish is about 60%. The stock has been broken and repaired. The repair is quite interesting, the break is at the wrist and has nickle pted brass tube flatened and pressed over the crack to re-enforce it. It actually doesn't look that bad.

I'm hoping someone has a resource for identifying the date of manufacture for the pre-1921 Remingtons. The receiver only stamping is the July22, 1902 patent on the left side. The barrel has the serial # stamped on the bottom side just forward of the forearm # S1070XX. There are no letters stamped for the post '21 date. The top of the barrel is stamped Remington Arms Co, Ilion, NY, USA. The rear sight is the non adjustable dovetail type, not the leaf type that is adjustable for elevation.

I'll try to get some pics posted later.

Rusty
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Flayderman state: "Made c. 1902-1933. Exact quantities unknown" which indicates no serial number records.

They were the economy model, priced a third lower than the No. 4 in 1920 Sears catalog:

Attached Files:

3. Rusty Dusty

Rusty Dusty New Member

So here's a few pictures. Like I said the bore is poor, very dark, rifleing is present. Any ideas as to value? It is missing the rear peep sight. Is the falling block pin/firing pin retainer correct? Or should it be the longer larger dia. Knurled type?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Looks like the original knurled thumb knob has been broken off or replaced (part 6B listed here):

http://rollingblockparts.com/no6.htm

Flayderman lists $175 value for the No. 6 in Very Good condition so maybe $100 area in condition shown.

The stock repair is neater than most and brass looks good on wallhangers...