The Firearms Forum banner

Remington nylon .22

6K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Chick 
#1 ·
Is it possible to buff out or otherwise remove minor blemishes on the stock of a Remington Nylon?

#3 ·
I used to work as an apprentice to a well know gun smith. A part of my job was the Nylon 66. I never had a request to remove minor scratches form these guns. I will be watching this thread to see what pops up on this.

#4 ·
I found this, claimed to be from the Remington Service manual:

Scratches: Use finely powdered pumice stone and oil. Rub with felt pad. Wipe clean and dry.
Abrasion: Use Du Pont auto rubbing compound. Rub with cloth pad. Wipe clean and dry.
For Polishing: Use Du Pont auto waxes.
To Clean Checkering: Use stiff tooth brush.

I also found claims that you can re-finishing a nylon stock using a two part stock finish.

#9 ·
Other automotive polishes work well too, whatever happens to be your favorite...
just make sure it doesn't react badly with plastic first ;)

#7 ·
We used to get them in the shop on a regular basis, in a box.

#8 ·
One of the biggest mistakes is taking a Nylon Remington apart unless something has broken. You're not supposed to "thoroughly clean" them. The use a special lube comprised of nylon filaments and shavings. Most of that black gunk is supposed to be there.

I shot countless thousands(seriously, 30K rounds would be a near estimate) of rounds out my 77 without cleaning out the gun to an excessive degree. All you need to do is clean the bore(from the muzzle will suffice), then take a cotton ear swap and clean up the breech of excessive fouling. There is no reason to take one apart unless something has broken or worn and it needs repair.

At 16yo I was able to completely disassemble and reassemble my Nylon 77(my first personally owned gun) without problem. ..They aren't all that complicated.

Reactions: Big Shrek
#10 ·
When I had trouble reassembling one of my Nylon 66's (the other one went together perfectly!), I found a good video on the Nylon 66 forum. Probably it's on Youtube too. Those videos are priceless! Showed me the trick to get my barrel back in. The tricky bit is, DO NOT lose any internal parts! I temporarily lost the ejector - it would have been impossible to replace, as these parts were made of unobtanium. So glad I found it later!

Reactions: Big Shrek
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.