Remington Nylon .22

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Oneida Steve, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

What is it worth? Remington Nylon .22 rifle, black stock, chrome barrel and receiver, tube fed through the stock. Near perfect condition.

Thanks. O.S.
  2. ken w.

ken w. Member

Well Steve,Here in N.Y. you should be able to sell that for a minimum of $200.00 and maybe as high as $325.00.These are getting quite collectable and hard to find.You just missed the Syracues gun show,but there will be more comming up soon as it's gun show season.Hope this helps.
  3. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Steve,Is the rifle model the 10,11,12,66,76,or77 Remington Nylon.22?
  4. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

sounds like an early NYLON 66 (gloss blacl / glow in the dark white appointments / tube fed / chrome plate rec. and BBL)...

do you have the original scope???

best regards, mike.
  5. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

I never knew this rifle has such a history!I guess that's because I'm a walnut freak.
    ......................................................................................................
    While Remington made very few changes to the Nylon 66's design during its 28-year production run, they did offer a number of variant stylings. The standard model, and by far the most common today, was the "Mohawk Brown" model, so-called because of its dark brown stock material and blued steel parts.

This was first into production and Remington continued to offer it throughout the manufacturing run. Its dark brown color scheme looked quite traditional, which appealed to many shooters who liked the idea of a low-maintenance, high-tech rifle without an outlandish appearance.

A "Seneca Green" Nylon 66 also appeared in 1959. Like the Mohawk Brown model this variant also used blued steel parts, but the balance of the gun was bright green. Most shooters of the late 1950s simply weren't ready for something that unusual and Remington had trouble selling this model.

The company discontinued the Seneca Green Nylon 66 in 1962, making it today the rarest Nylon 66. As a result, Nylon 66 collectors favor the Seneca Green model above all others, to the tune of a collector's premium of about double the value of a Mohawk Brown model.

The other major Nylon 66 variant was the "Apache Black" version. Introduced in 1962, this replaced the Seneca Green and remained in production until 1984, though not in the numbers of the Mohawk Brown model.

The Apache Black Nylon 66 featured glossy black-nylon parts and a bright, polished chrome-plated receiver cover and barrel. This is a very attractive rifle and one in excellent shape can command a collector's premium of about 30 percent more than a Nylon 66 in the standard Mohawk Brown color scheme.

These three were the major Nylon 66 variants. Remington introduced several minor variants as well. To celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Remington Company's founding in 1816, the company made a 150th Anniversary Nylon 66 in 1966 with a special logo on the receiver. Today this model is worth slightly more to Nylon 66 collectors than the Apache Black model.

Ten years later Remington introduced a Nylon 66 Bicentennial model, a Mohawk Brown version with an inscription on the receiver cover. The "Black Diamond" Nylon 66 used a black decorative diamond on the forend instead of the usual white diamond. A Nylon 66-GS, short for "Gallery Special," fired .22 Short only, while the standard Nylon 66 fired only .22 LR ammunition.

Invest In Plastics Young Man

Remington also created several rifles based on the Nylon 66's construction but with mechanical changes. These included the Nylon 76, a lever-action variant made from 1962 to 1964 in a choice of brown or black.

The Nylon 77, made in 1970, fed its ammunition from a five-round detachable box magazine made of black plastic, instead of the standard Nylon 66 rifle's tubular magazine. Switching to a different magazine system involved quite a number of changes in the design, most notably to the stock, the bolt and even the rear sight.

Because of the loss of nine rounds of magazine capacity the Nylon 77 sold poorly, so in 1971 Remington replaced its five-shot magazine with a 10-shot detachable box magazine, renamed the gun "Nylon 10-C," and in this guise it did well enough to sell from 1971 to 1978. This gun had a final resurgence in 1987, which was the Nylon 66's last year, too.
  6. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

sold a black diamond monday nite in 98+% for $275 no arguments-1 look an it was gone:cool:
  7. lead

lead Well-Known Member

The article fails to mention that there was also a bolt action model. I had one many years ago and foolishly let it go.
  8. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

The article is lacking, not only failing to mention the bolt gun---but the rarest of all smooth bore worth more than ten of any model.
    Gun Books???? Sure??\

LTS
  9. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

LIKTOSHOOT,Thats BS,I did ask if it was a model "10".
  10. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Get over yourself, the article makes no mention of either. Rather than take it personally---take a breath.

LTS
  11. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

I didn't produce the article!But I did ask the question!So take a pill.
  12. johnston3407

johnston3407 New Member

I posted a few weeks ago about my Nylon 66, it's a Mohawk Brown. I asked if anyone remembered these, I had forgotten how nice they are. They were very high-tec for the 60's. "Invest in plastic young man" The are a very interesting part of Americana. Still shoots very well. I have been offered $200.00, and it's the model that's plentiful.
  13. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I wonder what my lever action nylons are worth, one chrome and one nickel, both as new?
  14. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I remember that over a year ago a guy had one on Gunbroker. He had about $150 as his reserve. It went for over $300.
    We used to have a guy at the gun shows with a whole table of Nylons. His levers were always priced about $300. I haven't seen him in a long time. I guess he sold them all.
  15. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Thanks for the info, guys. The rifle is marked Nylon 66 on the pistol grip. It does not have any serial number that I can see (pre-68?). It did not come to me with a scope. There are two white diamonds on the forestock and a white spacer on the pistol grip and buttplate. The stock is glossy black. The barrel is marked B m 10 (I think) near the chamber.