Remington Nylon 66

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by silverhog, Dec 28, 2009.

1. silverhog

silverhog New Member

I purchased my Remington Nylon 66 back in 1978. A great shooter for sure. I never took it apart as I was told it was hell to reassimble. I have shot 10,000 rounds plus and never detailed it. I pulled it from my safe the other day after years of no shooting and neglect. It still was "Old Faithful!" It shot but I knew it need a cleaning. I got on line and found a site on You Tube that shows how to disassimble and reassimble. When I cracked the upper end open, it rained of many years of neglect. I spent three hours detailing this incredable ..22. When I pull back the bolt it does not crunch any more. My 66 will be passed on to my shooting buddy when I can no longer detail it again. A fantastic weapon for sure. This weapon is a true work horse!
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Man you bringing back old memories I had the black and chrome one back in the day.Was fun and super light. Cant remember what I did with it, Dad may have it. I will have to call and ask.
  3. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I never owned one, wish I did. I have only heard great stories about that: awesome firearm. If I find one used, I will seriously contemplate it's purchase!
    :D
  4. magnumhuff

magnumhuff New Member

Hey new here. Sorry to jack your thread. mrt, I have one that I may be getting rid of. pm me and we may have something.
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

The Remington Nylons are exceptional guns. They are fun to shoot, and really stand up to rough handling. I have a "Black-Diamond" and a brown 66. I wouldn't sell either of them, and I always have my eye out for another "special" one.
    Old Gun Guy
  6. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    I use to have one back in the day, i loved that little 22 wish i had never gotten rid of it, traded my brother for a 410 pump bad trade i would like to have another nylon but they have gotten pretty expensive anymore.
  7. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

Two .22 rifles I always wanted were the 'Black Diamond" nylon 66 and a Browning...don't recall the model...but the one that loaded thru the stock..
    Had a close friend back 25 yrs ago that had the '66' black/chrome .....we used to go hunting together alot back then. Happened to be at a gun show 4yrs. ago and a gentleman there had a table w/ 8 nylon 66's. The one that was rough....was the brown one and he was asking $750....I about feel over!! He had 2 'Black Diamonds' that were flawless......both were priced at $950.
    I immediatly called my ol buddy....to see if he still had his.....he told me he traded it in 5yrs before at a gun shop for a Ruger 9mm.....plus $100.
    Darn neared cried.....didn't realize how expensive these .22 rimfires were getting.....my dubby couldn't believe it either...
    Guess I won't be getting one afterall..!!

TT
  8. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    the guy at the gun show was nuts,between myself and my brother we have all the nylons.the black and crome has been commandeered by significant other.i keep a bolt action nylon in my truck for general use.i have eight different models of the nylons.i live in southern indiana and around here they go for anywhere from 100.00-400.00 no more unless almost mint. old semperfi
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

My cousin just picked up a black diamond from a garage sale for 15 bucks. The old man selling it thought it was a BB gun and my cousin who also is not a firearms expert by no means bought it thinking it was a BB gun until he showed it to my uncle who is a fire arms lover and quickly became very envious. Lucky find.
  10. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

to0-old semperfi...yes...I thought he was nuts also....but ya know....saw the old boy 3 wks later at another gun show and he was missing 3 of those nylon's....both black diamonds and brown stock....so he did mention he had been selling a few.....can't imagine paying over $400 for one myself......afterall....its just a .22 rimfire!!

and too Helix_FR.....that was quite a find for sure....there are deffiantly some buys to be found at garage sales!!.....

TT
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have one that my dad had when I was a kid. As a kid, we shot, shot, and shot that thing and only oiled what we could...it was never dissasembeled.
    About 7-8yrs ago I got it out and thought well...I'll totally take it apart and clean it. Bad decision at the time...never seen so much "stuff" that was in there; seeds dirt you name it. Worked about 1/2 that night to get it back together till frustration took over. Got up the next morning and FINALLY re-assebled it. What a job it was. However, I get it out from time to time and shoot a few rounds tru it and it's still as acurate as it ever was! I dont know what the value is exactly on one, but the one I have is priceless to me. Just a great 22.
  12. shawnc

shawnc New Member

Man you guys are bringing back some memories. i own a brown nylon 66 that my dad gave me when i was like 6 so that puts it at 31 plus years as it was no where near new when i recieved it but i will say this to my knowledge its only been cleaned once in all these years. a few years ago my brother and i had been shooting it all day and decided to disassemble it and totaly clean and lube the gun up well after about 3 hours of fighting it and some time spent on the web looking for assembly instructions we finally gave up and i took it to a gun shop the next day for help, they showed me how to put it back together and been shootin it ever since. after all these years ofabuse and neglect this is still the most accurite fire arm ive ever fired and believe me thats along list. You can talk about the prices on these guns at gun shows all you want but my opinion is they are priceless bucause they dont make them like this anymore.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  13. medalguy

medalguy Member

These have become quite collectible in the last few years and some models command prices of over $1,000. Anybody out there got a smoothbore model? That's one I still need for my collection.
  14. valkyrie

valkyrie New Member

I have a smooth bore. Bought it at a pawn shop to get rid of sparrows in garage. I would much rather have a 66 or 77 .Talk to me if your interested.
  15. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

The best 22 ever made IMHO.
    I have the original brown one that I bought in 59 for $65 and it is still as accurate as the day it came from the store.
    I have only had it apart one time and it never fails.
    It will accept any ammo I want to shoot through it and does not burp.
    I now have nine of them and two of the 77s and will be giving one to each of my grandchildren as they become old enough to have one. I give two away to two of them this month and looking forward to the experience. I gave one to my wife, one to my daughter and her husband and one to my son and his wife already.
    I have never paid more than $250 for any of them and just bought two last week (brown ones) for $150 each and they are both like new. In fact I was really surprised at how good they were.

UF