Remington of 1917 help please.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Shaittan, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Shaittan

Shaittan New Member

Hi guys sorry for the bother. I've already done a search and turned up some information on the the gun in question I'm fixing to ask about, but I didn't quite find what I needed. If the info is there and I missed it, then again I apologize for the bother and mix up.

I have a Remington of 1917 Serial # 49756 and I'm trying to find an approximate value for it. From what little research I've done it won't be much but that's not a matter of importance to me. I just really don't have anywhere available near me where I could get reliable help and a friend recommended these forums to me. Any and all help is sincerely appreciated. Thanks a ton!

PS: Photos are already uploaded but it may take me a minute or two to get them all added to this post. Thanks for your patience.

One thing I forgot to add is that my father in law ALLEGEDLY spent close to 5k restoring this gun. I'm not sure whether I believe him or not but it is in basically pristine condition. Also most of my photobucket is set to private so if any of the images aren't showing up please let me know and I'll get it fixed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

You have a really nicely sporterized U.S. Model of 1917 "Enfield" made by Remington Arms. Whoever did it did a great job. The blueing looks really good for a sporter, and the stock is nicely done. From what I can see, I'd say you have a $200 to $300 hunting rifle, depending if you could find the right buyer.

As far as what you said about the gun being "restored".... Sorry but not so. Just the opposite. Original models of you rifle, in very good condition command 3X as much in value, maybe more. What you have is a nice hunting rifle, not a collector. It would take LOTS of time and money to bring it back to original configuration, and that MAY NOT be possible. Just enjoy it for what it is. Jim
  3. Shaittan

Shaittan New Member

Sorry I didnt mean restored as in back to original condition. I just meant that when he got ahold of it, the gun was in pretty bad condition, and I THINK he hand sanded the stock himself, but I can't ask him since he's brain dead and in a coma now.
  4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear that your father-in-law is in poor health. Looks to me like he wanted - and accomplished - a nice sporter rifle. You could be proud to take that one hunting or to the range. I've seen bunches of "sporterized" rifles that look awful. Yours really is a sharp specimen. That finish job looks decent in the pictures that I see.

Short story. Years back, before I joined my Rifle Club, I used to shoot at the local public range. I had a Model 70 Winchester that I used hunting and took it up to check my hand loads and my zero prior to leaving for an elk hunt. Only had to fire a few rounds and had it dead-zero for 100 yards with my 180 grain loads.

An older fellow was sighting his M98 Mauser in for his hunting trip. That rifle was not nicely done like yours - that one was just chopped up and had a scope stuck on it. Don't know if the mounts were welded, glued, screwed or taped on. I had my rifle packed up and stowed, and being in no hurry I offered to spot for him as I had my spotting scope still out. (Looked like he was having trouble, as at 100 tards he had holes in the top left and right of his paper, and holes scattered in the bottom edge of his paper.) Also mentally noted that his loads -factory 8mms - were mix-matched maker and bullet wieghts.

On hearing me offer to spot for him, this old guy replies "Nope, don't need no help. Use her like this every year...." I often wondered later if this old guy ever actually shot a deer or elk with that rifle grouping 2 feet at 100 yards.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Maybe he justs shoots into a herd?
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There is an old definition:

Sporterizing: Taking a $1000 rifle and converting it into a $200 rifle and spending $500 to do so.

Too late now, of course. It is a hunting rifle and, depending on the condition of the barrel, may be quite accurate; it has no collector value or interest.

Jim