Remington or Winchester Brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jdon72, Jan 13, 2010.

1. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Does anyone have a preference on Winchester or Remington brass? I just purchased 500rds for 170+ship of win. I was debating between the two and decided on win because it was $25 cheaper and the reviews were all the same.

What do you all think?

Thanks

J
  2. Halwg

Halwg New Member

My preference in brass is Remington, Federal, Winchester in that order.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Makes no difference to me. If Winchester is the cheapest, I'd buy it.
  4. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

thanks guys...
  5. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

The Remington brass seems to hold up better for me. I don't load overly hot though. I agree with Halwg's preference order.
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

at the range I pick up and use whatever headstamp brass I find. I usually end up buying .380 brass from Starline.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

Cost gets it. I have heard that new Winchester brass tends to be a bit more banged-up out of the bag. But I always FL size before reloading anyway.
  8. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Thanks guys...I also fl size my cases, but in another post on this forum, I asked about neck sizing. I may start doing that but will always FL my first loads.

J
  9. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Havent noticed any differnce here, they all load and go boom.................
  10. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

Thanks Dragon, I agree.

J
  11. Sandman

Sandman Member

My manual says to separate brands of brass. Do you guys find that to be necessary?
  12. RandyP

RandyP Member

I can't say I've ever sorted by headstamp. No negatives issues to report.

You didn't mention caliber or your use? 1000 yard benchrest rifle shooters DO sort by headstamp and take extreme measures to create their rounds.

Bullseye pistol shooters who are trying to get to the magical 1 hole 5 shot group also will take care to create the perfect reload.

I shoot paper zombies at my local indoor ranges and as I've always posted am quite satisfied with M.O.D. (minute of dead) accuracy.
  13. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

I like winchester brass best myself. According to the reviews I read it lasts longer, and is slightly better when it comes to primer pockets opening up.

I've heard some people say also that Remington brass can have quality control issues.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I don't have a preferance as to what make the brass is, but then, as of now I only reload hand gun ammo. I got into reloading to save money, so the lower $$ amount on the price tag gets my vote. As far as sorting cases goes it depends on what type of ammo I'm making. If it's to be target ammo, and has to be accurate, then I do. If it's to be plinking ammo, then I don't.
  15. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

thanks guys...

Gearhead...I ended up getting the winchester for that reason...and the 25 dollar savings.

Sandyman...I do not separate my brass because I have always had a mixture of factory ammo...I may keep these win separate though.

J