Remington R-15 VTR

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by garyjr381, Jun 15, 2010.

1. garyjr381

garyjr381 New Member

I am thinking of buying a Remington R-15 VTR for target shooting,varmits and coyotes. Any body have and info for against? Or any other AR platform rifle I should consider? Thanks.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

for the price? DPMS will serve you better. I would even venture out into the used world. Not that I'm knocking the Remington haven't heard too many complaints but for there price you can get one from a company that specializes in AR platforms, not just one that is bandwagoning. Look at some kits too. DelTon makes a good one. All you need then is a stripped lower receiver.
  3. garyjr381

garyjr381 New Member

Thanks for the info. I will definatly look into the companies you suggested.
  4. sorral

sorral New Member

If I were you, I would look into an AR kit as well. You buy a stripped lower from a local dealer, and the kit company sends you everything else you need. Usually the upper is pre assembled and ready, just put the lower together. On the >>>tube website (you know the one) they have step by step instructional videos on how to put the AR together. I personally have dealt with Del-Ton.com and had good luck with them.
  5. XP100

XP100 Member

Remington ownes Bushmaster and DPMS. I believe the R15 is a Bushmaster. All the Remington guns have camo stocks. So as not to upset the Blackgun Anti's
  6. garyjr381

garyjr381 New Member

Thanks for all the info. I will definatley look around.
  7. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Be carefull Gary, you live in PA and can't use semi autos to hunt with.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

All you guys from Pa; which was originally my home over 20 years back; been in Alaska and never going back. Wife and I were from Westmoreland Co; sure is different here along the Yukon; colder too come January ha.

We have 5 Ar's & 3 mini-14s; use them off snowmachine, atv, boat, road hunting, ect which is legal here unlike Pa.

I really like the team slings with gun high across chest and sling behind neck, works great, shooting on the fly.

All mine are 223's except one 6.6 spc & a 338 armalite on order. The new calibers are the ticket. Killed a caribou at over 600 yards this fall with the stag 6.8 & acog. Only prob was the ghost ring covers clear up the antlers at that range, so you're just aiming at a large target. I still hit the bull twice out of 5 quick shots and was eating fresh meat that night.

Ya know, I like the shortest barrel with collapsible sliding stock best.

I'd like to get one of those camo Rems one of these days too; maybe some more calibers offered nx year.

Every couple years, we have wolves hang around the house until they get shot up. My son comes home in the spring and shoots a bear with his bow out of our stand behind the house. Last spring he had an adult wolf walk right under his stand until it caught wind of the boy and exploded out of there. The boy tried the foxpro, but wolf wouldn't come back in closer than 80 yards. We had 2 wolves walk within 50 yards of our house 2 weeks back. They were after some old salmon I had in tubs for chumming the river for burbot. They came in 2 nights in a row then never came back. Then last night a single wolf came in around 3 in morn, my house dogs (plotts) opened up and wolf took off. The wolf remembered the fish, came right down to where those tubs had been sitting a couple weeks back, but then walked between my house and shed to where my garbage cans were, ha. He was trying to get in my garbage. I put a tape on his track and it was 5 3/4 inches long & 4 1/2 inches wide. When his tracks were single filing, each track was over 3 foot apart. Anyway, I plan on getting him one of these nights. Might set snare on the trail. We hear wolves every few nights in the winter, usually early in the morning. As cool as wolves are around; don't let them release any in Pa. They end up over populating and eating everything down to zilch.

Watched the Pens lose to Flyers tonight on center ice. Also watch all the steeler games and local FSN sports from the burgh clear up here along the Yukon River. We miss some things from Pa, but never going back. Last time we were back was in 97; I bet she sure has changed.