Remington R1 and SWC's

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Casey, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Casey

Casey New Member

Anybody here try shooting SWC in their Remy R1? The salesman at the store I bought mine from said his wont feed em, only ball ammo. What does one need to do to reliably feed SWC in a 1911? I want to shoot Bullseye with mine eventually.
  2. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I had to polish the feed ramp and throat the barrel on my SA and Colt to get them to feed SWCs and hollow points.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The other key with SWC's is the cartridge OAL; if you're a reloader, this is easy to do. If you're buying factory ammo and it won't feed after the polishing and throating, then you're gonna have to start rollin your own.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

My Springfield feeds almost everything I put in it reliably except for Speer Gold Dot 185-grain JHP. That same brand in 230-grain feeds great.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Overall length is important and I measure my 200 gr LSWC rounds at 1.170".

Another important item is good mags. I use Metalform mags for LSWC rounds. Buy them from www.brownells.com '

I use the above combination and ALL my 1911's and never have any problems with wadcutter ammo.

If you want to throat the barrel and polish the feedramp on your 1911, go ahead if it will make you feel better but all the major brands don't need it. It's already there. Take a look. :)
  6. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Casey, I spoke to soon about the SWC! Shooter is right as usual the newer 1911 come ready to shoot about any thing. The 1911s that I've had to work on were the older models that wear in like new condition. Bottom line is Shooter 45 has great advise.
  7. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Sam, did you pose for that smilie face? Everybodies right casey, OAL will make a world of difference. How do you like that Rem 191 anyway?
  8. Casey

Casey New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I do reload and am looking to buy dies and components for .45. As far as the R1 goes, I love it! Shoots like a million bucks with 230 ball. The trigger may need a little work, it seems good when dry firing but when I'm waiting for the sear to trip on a round at the range it seems gritty and maybe a tad long, I guess I think too much at the range, lol. Sights are on the mark, no need to change them yet, will see what lighter loads will do for them. Will I have to put a lighter spring in with lighter loads or should it function just fine?
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I know that everyday I stare at the new R-1 Enhanced sitting here in the shop, the more it calls out "shoot me". It woke me up a few times in the middle of the night. Almost like a haunting of sorts.
  10. Casey

Casey New Member

Yea!! They dont keep them on the shelves around here, usually go out same day. Mine is not an Enhanced and I still love it. Actually that might be one thing I love about mine, its simplicity and accuracy.