Remington R1 Report

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Casey, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Casey

Casey New Member

Greetings!! I recently bought my first 1911, a Remington R1 .45. I love the old school looks with not all the fancy ribs and such. I just like older things, lol. Anyways, I stripped it down and cleaned and lubed it and finally got it to the range today. I cant be happier with it! I only shot 100 rounds through it but there were no FTF or FTE of any kind. Shoots very pleasant with Remington 230 gr RN. The first target I shot benching it at 25 yards. It shot pretty much perfect side to side but it shoots a few inches low using a 6 oclock hold. OR if I was covering the target with the front sight it shot pretty much dead on. The second target was 2 handed hold benching only my elbows at 25 yards. Then the third target I stood offhand using 1 hand at 25 yards. Fourth target was standing 2 handed at 25 again. I'm stoked about this gun, I love it! Trigger needs a little work but maybe it will smooth out a little with time.

Attached Files:

2. Casey

Casey New Member

Heres a shot of the R1. Cant wait to get it out again!! I used to shoot Bullseye Pistol leagues a long time ago with a Ruger Super BlackHawk .44 and a Ruger .22 Auto. Now I'm warming up for a comeback with my Ruger BlackHawk in .357 and maybe someday my R1.
  3. Casey

Casey New Member

OK, fingers are too fast for me! Sorry, here goes again...

Attached Files:

4. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Sweet gun dude. I was eyeing up one of those at Gander Mountain the other day when I was getting some targets.

That's a strange lookin thumb safety.

I heard these were good guns. Haven't tried one yet myself.

Noticed you were in Wisconsin. Where in Wisconsin? I'm in Cottage Grove if you're anywhere near there we could go shoot some time.

-Mike
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Score one for a classic, nice one Casey!
  6. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Nice Rem. It's on my list to purchase but down the line yet. Pickin up two more this weekend and then the Rem 1911 is only about 4 spots from being next! I think I can wait though because I already own 2 1911's. Keep us posted as you use it a little more so we all know what to expect.
  7. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Great way to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the 1911 by going out and shooting a great example of that classic pistol. Beautiful gun and great shooting.
  8. Casey

Casey New Member

Thanks for the compliments, appreciate it. I live in Saukville, hogger129. I'll keep everyone posted as to how this gun serves me. Its supposed to be crummy weather again for the rest of this week here so maybe over the weekend I can resume fun!
  9. DGG!

DGG! New Member

Nice looking gun! Remington knows how to make them that's for sure.

Looking at the picture I have a question. Does the magazine really seat that flush or did you not have it inserted? How do the magazines seem as far as fit and finish? I never understood why folks with brand new pistols had to run to the gun store to buy special magazines because those that came with the gun didn't work properly. You read comments about this all the time, and replacing the recoil springs is another frequent thing new gun owners often seem to do.

Thoughts?
  10. Casey

Casey New Member

DGG, I didnt have a magazine inserted, all you would see would be a flat plate and it protrudes forward about 1/8" - 1/4" for reasons unknown to me. LOL, I am used to my single action revolvers and I always slightly curl my little finger under the grip. The first magazine I shoved into my R1 bit me! Dumb thing to do and wont happen again! The mags both fit perfect and feed perfect, I got no complaints whatsoever. I have recently read reports about how the factory ones are junk so I expected problems at the range but mine are great!