Remington R25

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by hstout1143, Apr 16, 2012.

1. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of buying one and was looking for your opinion on them if you own one or have fired one.
  2. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

i have not fired one, wish i had the oportunity too. i have handle them at a gun shop and they feel like an awesome and well made firearm.
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...about like GunNut89 here. I've looked them over and almost tried to make a deal on
    one at a gun shop.
    Looked it all over and the one I looked at looked to be a nicely made AR.
  4. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Remington owns DPMS. that's who the R-25 is made by, and why it looks familiar.
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

figured it was a rebadged dpms or bushmaster ( I think Freedom group owns em all)
  6. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  7. JPD

JPD New Member

Maybe this will help. I just picked up my R25 (.308) 3 days ago. On the way home from the gun shop I stopped and picked up the following: Nikkon 3-9x40 BDC scope, scope rings, flip up lens covers, Limbsaver recoil pad (Med), and 3 boxes of Remington 150 gr Soft Point Core-lokt. (18.79 per box) The primary use of this rifle will be for hunting deer and hogs.

Putting holes in paper at the range will be for fun or sighting in new scopes/ammo. I'm just an average guy and in 21 years of hunting I've never shot at an animal beyond 300 yards (due mainly to terrain) so making a steel plate go "Ping" at 600+ yards doesn't greatly influence my decision to purchase this rifle. Besides, steel plates don't taste very good and they're hard to cook. :D

After getting all this stuff to the house I opened the R25's cardboard shipping box and slid out the expected plastic case. Upon opening the plastic case I was surprised to see that it wasn't the hard molded plastic case that I had seen pics of and read comments about the gun sliding around in. It was your standard flat box with egg shaped foam in both halves. Nothing fancy but much better than hard plastic.

So I broke the gun in half, disassembled the bolt and started cleaning. After the trigger group was sprayed with air and all items were cleaned, out came the Hopps lubricating oil for a generous coating on everything including the trigger and barrel.

Reassembly complete, on goes the scope and rings. Plumb bob and eye relief adjustmenst made. Installed the flip open lens covers and the recoil pad (for range use only. Multiple boxes of ammo. Will not use while hunting. Yes, age will catch you too) and waited for the next sunrise to hit the range.

The range. With the above listed ammo in hand and a 100 yard range ahead of me my day started. Once again I broke the R25 in half, removed the bolt, and placed the upper in a portable vise for boresighting. With target 1 at 50 yards lined up in the barrel I adjusted the scope as good as these older eyes could. Reassembled rifle, loaded magazine with it's first 4 rounds, hold on orange dot target 1, squeeze trigger, send hot round down range. Locked rifle back in vise, crosshairs on dot. Rolled the scope adj 3 inches left and 6 inches up to bullet impact hole. Sent another hot round downrange, struck the dot on the edge at 11 oclock. Next 2 rounds struck the inside edge of the dot at 1130 both going thru the same hole. Out to 100 yards with the remainder of the 60 rounds for scope work and fun.

So here's the basics of the first 60 rounds thru the rifle for me:
    60 rounds fired.
    Barrel swabbed 3 times with oil during the first 25 rounds. Zero times after.
    Magazine worked flawless
    Zero failures to fire.
    Zero failures to feed.
    Zero malfunctions.
    Numerous 3 round groups inside 1 square inch while setting scope @ 100 yds.
    It's accuracy seems to be on par with my Rem 7mm mag bolt act 24in barrel.

If it proves depedable and maintanes this accuracy over time, I may have just found a new life long hunting partner. You know, the first one you grab out of the cabinet when it's time to go.

What a fun rifle.
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  8. H-D

H-D Active Member

I thought they would have one in .260 I would love that
  9. JPD

JPD New Member

Maybe if sales go well they will come out with additional calibers. Just buy a new upper for whatever purpose you need.
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

They do have a R-25 in 260. I almost bought on when they came out and it was in the Gander Mnt.

OK I guess they don't I could have sworn they made one.

I thought DPMS made one as well. Maybe they dropped it. Armalite makes one.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  11. JPD

JPD New Member

I 'd like to add a few thing to my previous post if I may. Prior to ordering this R-25 I read every thread, comment, test, review, post, and article I could find on the web including You Tube. To the point where I couldn't google anything that I hadn't read. The majority of it seemed to come from 2008, 2009, and 2010. Also I divided the info I read into 3 basic categories, nuetral, good, bad. I also took the following into concideration: Not knowing exactly how many of these rifles have been sold and, understanding that it is human nature to whine, moan, rant, and complain or vent when something isn't good or as "expected" vs. when it is good or as "expected". People will give voice to thier opinions more when things are not as expected vs. giving voice when things are right, good, or as expected. That can tend to skew the "total amount" of info on the web. Back to the riflle and some of the complaints I read.

The trigger. Yes mine is gritty and has a longer pull than most of my bolt actions. That said, the grttiness and pressure required is "predictable" and it does break clean in the same spot. The cool thing about being human is that I can adjust; and/or change it if I want. As is, I can get it to produce sub MOA groups @ 100 yds. with average hunting ammo.

Weight. At roughly 9.5 lbs. with scope it is very equal to the weight of my plastic/composite stocked Rem 7mm mag with scope. My take on "lugging this thing around the woods all day" is this: If your physical condition is so borderline that 1 single pound on either side of this weight is the differance between a successful hunt and/or complete physical failure then maybe you should re-evaluate your condition or hobby, not the rifle.

Noise from charging the weapon. Is charging the rifle loud? Yes. Would I do it when I got to my stand/blind or on a stalk just before I need to shoot? No. I will charge it at my truck or along the way to my hunting/stalking area and then carry it in the safe manner in which I was taught by my father and grandfather. Not really something to complain about, but it's out there.

Camo coating flaking or wearing thru in spots. So what! It's a tool, not a trophy. I don't have one rifle in my cabinet that isn't scratched, nicked, dented, gouged, or have some sort of wear on the finish, metal or wood. Hunting rifles get abused. They get laid on the ground, leaned against trees, rocks, fence post, and barbed wire. They fall over, fall off, fall down, slide off, slide down everything. They get dropped, kicked, tripped over, used to push brush out of the way, and handled poorly by airlines. They freeze and thaw, get rained on, snowed on, sleeted on. They meet with mud, sand, water, dirt, vegetation, and rock. A tool is purchased and used. A trophy is earned and looked at. I think this rifle will stand up to the abuse just fine.

Well there's a few views from my hunting perspective. Hope it helps.

If you want to know my reasons for purchasing this rifle, here you go.
    1) The one not so bright hog in the group.
    2) Semi-auto with accuracy

That's right. You know that hog. It runs 10-15 yards and then stops to figure out what the heck just happened when you busted his buddys butt and then busts you because you have to go thru the process of cycling a bolt/lever to get on him. Add semi-auto and, well, Mr. Not So Bright is going to have a rough day. :AR15firing:
    Last edited: May 22, 2012