Remington R51 First Firing

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Bill48, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Bill48

Bill48 New Member

I just bought a Remington R51 and took it to the range today. I oiled the slide and receiver rails with oil before firing 75 factory Federal 123 gr FMJ, shooting 12 magazines of both 6 and 7 rounds per magazine (it is very hard to get that 7th cartridge into a magazine). Both of the magazines supplied with the gun were equally used.

Results:
    1. 6 cases of slide failing to go completely home, requiring pushing it on the back of the slide.
    2. 1 case of hammer following the slide home, requiring pulling the slide back to cock, though it did chamber a new round.
    3. 2 cases of failure to eject a fired cartridge case.

Also, most ominously, the gun will fire when out of battery. This can be done by pulling the slide back about an inch and pulling the trigger on an empty chamber. The trigger drops. This is very dangerous.

Some minor points, breaking it down and reassembly is not easy, requiring some strong fingers and determination. The action on pulling back the slide is very rough and requires a substantial pull. Also, the loaded chamber indicator is useless.

Conclusion, the gun is not safe to fire and definitely inadequate for defense. I will be sending it back to Remington for warranty work and will report the outcome when they respond. I have never dealt with Remington customer service before and have no idea what the outcome will be. I've had excellent results from Ruger, and miserable results from Smith & Wesson and Charter Arms. So, I can only wait.
    RifleHawk, raven818 and todd51 like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.

Thanks for your review pf the R51, several people here have asked if anyone had one and what their thought were. This might be helpful to some of those folks.
  3. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Yes… thank you very much for that review…. I'm one of those that was very interested in this gun, but also know that frequently the first generation of anything has problems. So… will wait to see that they address then.
    And welcome to the forum!
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Good review and timely too. Many times people want the latest and greatest firearm only to find they are having issues. I normally wait to buy until the gun has been mass distributed and reports are out. Based on this review, I would be looking around to see if others are having the same issues or if this is an isolated issue...
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Just curious, I see you oiled the pistol before firing it at the range but did you clean it first ?
  6. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Welcome from Sitka, Alaska, and thank you for the report. Look forward to your comments on Remington's warranty service, and whether they actually resolved the problems. Once again, welcome, and thanks.
  7. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

There has been reports of uncomfortable stinging recoil.Is that true?
  8. Bill48

Bill48 New Member

Yes, I did. It came from the factory with some white, opaque grease in the action. I cleaned it thourghly and then oiled it.
    I called Remington today and they're sending me a package and shipping label to return the gun. I will inform the group of the results when I get it back. Checking YouTube test firings of the R51 are also showing similar concerns. I haven't found a positive test yet. That's what I get for buying a new gun on impulse!
  9. Bill48

Bill48 New Member

Yes, it is not a fun gun to shoot.
  10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was looking at this gun myself. I have heard other bad reviews also. After your problem I no longer want one.
  11. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Sorry you're having trouble with it.
    I always wait a year before buying any new gun
    to make sure the kinks are ironed out.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
  12. nmckenzie

Appreciate the heads up regarding the YouTube evaluations. Just watched several of them, and am stunned Remington turned the R51 loose before any and all glitches were worked out.
  13. frow blucher

frow blucher Member

I noticed bad reviews like yours a week or two ago, and was surprised, after researching the Remington plan to open up new mfgng down south, instead of expanding in Ilion NY (after the Safe Act passed). Even the relatively new president Scott Blackwell 'resigned' recently, and there are those who feel he was fired after these problems started to be noticed around the time of the last Shot Show. Most reviews were like yours, with one major exception that I noticed in my recent American Rifleman issue, along with a short video from NRA shooting the R51 which both gave it a thumbs up. I went with the 'common man' reviews I saw all over the place, which mirrored your experience. Too bad. Always wondered if they made a really perfect one for NRA review, while you and many others got lemons. Talk about a bad 'new product' launch !!.
  14. nmckenzie

Before firing the President of Marketing & Sales (Blackwell), Big Green should've canned whoever's in charge of R&D and quality control. I recall some of the early reviews of their 1911R1, and many weren't that flattering. At least they seem to have gotten that situation under control, which considering that the 1911's been around for over a century you wouldn't think needed any controlling or tweaking at all.
  15. RifleHawk

RifleHawk Member

Hellinois,Land of Leavin,just outside Crook County
    I keep hearing negative stories of Remington firearms, like there 700s firing when they shouldn't. I've got an 870 that after about 40 shells I noticed a crack inside the bore. Never a response from Remington. I got a new barrel for around $150. I will never buy a Remington firearm again.