Remington R51

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by robman2629, Mar 9, 2014.

1. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Has anyone seen or held this new handgun in the remington collection? I am definitely considering it as my carry weapon. For the low price of 400 it definitely seems like a great reliable gun. Any thoughts, ideas? Its a 9mm which might be small for me but itll do the trick.
  2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I think I'd go with a Keltec P9 or P11, less expensive and doesn't tend to bite your hand as much...
    or perhaps a nice Firestar or Ultrastar...there are still NIB examples out there...
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

Jeff Quinn likes it fine...read his reviews on GunBlast...
    http://www.gunblast.com/Remington-R51-2.htm

But Elwood Shelton hit on some things nobody else noticed...the quoted material below and others
    http://www.gundigest.com/guns/handgun-reviews-articles/shot-show-2014-remington-r51
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  3. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Thank you for that. It definitely will make me reconsider my options. Definitely dont want a painful experience when firing everytime.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Per one of the articles, aluminum for the frame is a concern. What???

The gun the US Military uses (Beretta Model 92) has an aluminum frame and there is nothing to show that its life is seriously reduced (a given is that steel would be more durable but few of us shooters will shoot the gun to the end of its useful life). If aluminum for the frame is in question then what about plastic or pot metal (OK, zinc alloy). Almost every 1911 clone in 22LR uses a Zinc alloy frame. Most tactical centerfire pistol sold today are in plastic frames.

I think the criticism of the aluminum frame is stupid in today's world of aircraft aluminums, some of which are stronger than some mild steels. Time will tell if this gun is durable but the fact that it has an aluminum frame I find an advantage because that means it does not have a plastic or Zinc alloy frame!

I'd like an original but I'd most certainly take this new gun for it unique lines.

LDBennett
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a few 1911s with scandium aluminum frames and while they have not been battle tested, they have had alot of rounds thru them without any issues....
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I agree with LD and DD's assesment of the alloy frame issue. There have been many models over the years with aluminum alloy frames that are holding up just fine. I like LD's statement...at least it isn't some zinc garbage (I won't touch the plastic frame issue :) )

As for the slide bite that the TTAG article mentions...
    That is all dependent on how YOUR hand fits the pistol. If it fits your hand it probably won't be a problem. If it doesn't, then it's going to be a bugger every time you shoot. Yes, a high-grip design is more prone to it but you can get slide bite from some of the other popular "old-school" designs too.

I'm still waiting to see them turn up on the shelf around here so I can try one in person for the exact reason I mentioned above. I like everything I've read so far about the R51, but until I have one in hand I don't know for sure if it's for me. I'm hoping. :)
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have two guns with slide or hammer bite problems. On one I just put skateboard grip tape on the back strap and judiciously grip it low. The tape keeps the hand there during recoil. The other gun was a Charles Daly clone of the Browning Hi Power with a commander style hammer (Original had a different shape hammer that removed the possibility of hammer bite…Thank you John Browning). On the Hi Power clone I machined away the bottom of the loop on the hammer to get clearance for my hand. That helped tremendously as I could now get a correct grip and a straight pull on the trigger without hammer bite.

With only two guns of my many giving hammer or slide bite it is obvious that my hands are small for my tall frame. Others who have big beefy hands have problems with lots of guns in this respect. So hammer and slide bite are very personal, usually. In the case of the R51, is it the gun or the review shooter??? Only handling the gun will tell for sure.

LDBennett
  8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Its the shooter review for sure. he hates small guns to begine with and there is no signs of slide bit only a red hand from shooting 500 rounds with to loose of a grip.

My wife picked her R51 up 2 days ago. I always get to break in a new pistol so it checked it out , cleaned it and went behind our garage to run a few mags thru it. Checked it out again and went yesterday to start the break in. Managed to fire 200 rounds in 1/2hr with no redness on my hand. Easy to shoot well and it would be very hard to get any real slide bit. I started to shot some fliers so figured that was enough for one range day.

First off Its an easy pistol to shot well, recoil is light like a heavy full size 9mm would feel. I use a 5" 1911-9mm as a reference to how it felt to shoot.

The trigger is not single action like to me, darn sure not 1911 type. It is much more like a very good striker trigger but much shorter in pull length. It does have a about 3/16ths take up and an just under an 1/8th inch pull at 6lb pull the fire, + or - a few oz.

It does shoot as if the trigger was lighter in pull weight.
    Mag fits snug in the mag well. No wiggle room like some have .

Sight work very well even with a wider than typical front sight. It fits the rear sight very well with a large white dot and for a guy with not so great eyes for open sight any more it allows me to shoot it well.

First rounds I fired at home was some underwood 124gr +P gd and yesterday was 115gr fmj Georgia arms reloads. Like I said no issues.

Read and follow the directions and dis and re-assembly is not hard to do, just different. so at this point I have 228 rounds fired and I stripped it down , re-cleaned it and lubed and it looks fine inside, no hammering on any metal work.

The R51 is longer than the kahr cw9 over all by a 1/2" but from the grip forward it is the same length and gets by short term in the same holster. height really is about the same size but the R51 has a little longer grip area , easier to get a hold of.

300 more rounds to go before I decide how reliable it is and how it is holding up but so far so good.

Photos for the non believers.
    [​IMG]

200 rounds at 10 yards
    http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l444/hardluk1/th_100_0456_zpse750ee33.jpg

Mt cw9 with the R51
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the price my wife paided
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

How is the slide pull? I know the kahr is tough to rack for a woman. The easiest slide is the bersa 380 in my opinion. How about this slide?
  10. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Thanks for that hardluk1. Can you post another review after you fire off those other 300 rounds? I would love to see how it holds up. Definitely a great thing to have someone actually using one.
  11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

One of my wifes pistols is a bersa 380CC and the R51 is no harder to rack than the bersa . I know you have seen the commercial of it being 1 finger racked?? That's real. It is easy to rack.

Yes your right about the kahrs. I have all 3 sizes and I don't even like racking the smaller 2. Get'n old and broke down , more of a yard dog anymore. Not on the porch yet thou.

Yes when I get back to the range I will report of sure. but it my be this weekend , maybe.
  12. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

It depends Entirely what aluminium alloy is used...as to longevity & other characteristics...
    I don't think Remmy would use a undergrade alloy...but it is worth paying attention to just in case.

If you have ever owned/worked on a 522 Viper, you know what I mean about making sure Remmy does right...
    because sometimes, they clusterflop as bad as anyone else ;)
  13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

No viper here just a early 511 P. that was my first 22. yea I would think it would hold up but apparently one guy bought one that was said to be hard to rack brand new , still bought it and managed to shoot 50 rounds before it would no longer cycle back far enough to eject the brass. I still figure the story may not be completely right but who knows.

I know I use a somewhat different grease than most use on there firearms. Pro-Shots Pro-Gold Good very slick stay in place grease.

I never bought a firearm because of some guys bad review or I would never have bought a pf-9 at one time and my 3 kahrs that have so good for me.

All I can do as say what is find out and let other make a choice.
  14. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

I just cant wait to handle one, they havent made the trek to Maine yet.
  15. robman2629

robman2629 New Member

Called my local cabelas and they still have no idea when these new toys will make it up this way. Pretty frustrating.