The Firearms Forum banner

Remington Rand 1911A1

Tags
3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
I inherited this gun from my father. I looked up the serial number and it backs up to 1943. The gun is very clean. Has a spare barrel and 4 clips and about a hundred rounds. Should I be firing this or just keeping to pass down the line?

Thanks

Jetjock1027

#2 ·
Id shoot it.. Its an ol warhorse. prolly worth 800 bucks tops. But it is meant to sling 230 gr jacketed ball ammo at enemy soldiers. But thats just my opinion.

#3 ·
Welcome to TFF Jet, do you have any pics that you could post? Most likely, I would fire it and keep it cleaned/oiled. Passing it on without giving it some history would be a sin in my book. Do you know any history on how your father came across it?

#4 · (Edited)
It was somebodys war trophy from WW2. Rem Rand had a contract for the US military in various batches from 1942 - 1945. They did not deliver them in any numerical order. Total manufactured is about 700,000 during those 3 years and they are all 1911A1s.

Im sure they were surplused at some point after WW2 but most likely not until 1985 or so when the M9 replaced the 1911 as the sidearm of the US armed forces.

#6 ·
The gun was purchased in Rahway NJ back in the early 70's from a woman whose husband had just passed. She was selling his guns at a garage sale. My father bought it for $40 with an extra barrel and about 100 rounds of ammo. I think he may have shot it 1 time. Cleaned it and put it in the gun case. I plan on shooting it.

#9 ·
Put a set of Wulff springs in it and take it to the range! When I inherited mine, you could strip it by shaking it side to side, and 8 shots at 15 yards wouldn't stay on a 50 gallon barrel! Put a set of springs in it, and what a difference! The springs were probably the originals and completely shot to death. It will never be an Ed Brown grade pistol, but it's great fun to shoot.

#10 ·
They aint intended for National Match. They are intended to kill enemy soldiers. Minute of Kraut was sufficient for thier purpose..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.