Remington Rand 1911A1

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by micromontenegro, Dec 11, 2010.

1. micromontenegro

micromontenegro Member

I was looking for a shooter and found this. What do you think about it? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Awesome. Absolutely perfect. You got one in original condition and well kept from the looks of it. Im a little jealous right now. What you get it for?
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

It's nowhere near being in original finish. Look like it's been through a rebuild and repark'ed several times, but should make a nice shooter.
    (Notice the washed out markings and some pitting under the current finish.)
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

doesnt seem pitted to me, just looks park'ed. The 'washed out' markings are typical for wartime production as are the tool marks.
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Check the underside of the close-up of the grip safety area for pits.
    Also, the Ordinance Escutcheon (Crossed Cannons) is a rebuild mark as is the "SA" (Springfield Arsenal rebuild). Both of these marks should have been applied AFTER the refinish. It's possible the "SA" was after the latest refinish, but the crossed cannons has been through at least one re-do and it looks like more than one.
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very nice! It is an arsenal rebuild but will be great shooter. 1943/44. Left grip is from a Colt, right grip is R/R or Ithaca (early keyes). Hammer looks like late Ithaca, mainspring housing looks like 8 rib so is R/R. What is stamped on barrel lug?
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  7. Danny

Danny Member

The crossed cannons were a ordinance dept stamp. All 1911a1s carried it except for the US&S pistols.Most of the stampings were often partially struck (visible).This marking had nothing to do with a rebuild.
    Regards
    Danny
  8. micromontenegro

micromontenegro Member

I think (I don't know a 1911 from a hole on the ground) that the parkerizing could be original. Of course, serial number puts it in 1943 according to web sources, so that is just not that probable. The gun is extremely tight- in fact, not broken in. If it is that way after a rebuild, I will be happier still- that means I can fire away with no qualms!
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  9. micromontenegro

micromontenegro Member

The barrel lug is marked F on the left side and HS on the right side.
    I traded it for a 75% 80's Detective Special, a very used Beretta 70S and a little cash.
  10. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The HS (High Standard) was used by Ithaca and R/R. Could the F be a P? When they were re-built at the arsenal, they mixed up parts. Usually though, you ended up with a nice tight gun as your is. If it has the SA stamp it was re-parked. Mine is Ithaca and was SA re-built as well. It is tight and shoots great. I am trying to locate the parts that came with it originally. Funny thing is my grips are the exact opposite of yours. My right grip is Colt and the left is Keyes. Have fun with it. You will be the envy at the range.