The Firearms Forum banner

Remington Rand M1911A1 U.S. Army

Tags
4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Double D 
#1 ·
Hello Gentlemen, I know this is an old thread, but I have recently read the whole thing and am still very interested in it. I keep coming across these nickel plated Remington rands. They look so similar in the plating job. I am still interested in finding out their history - even if they were not factory plated. My best friend (who works at the Cabela's gun counter) owns one that adds an interesting twist to their background. It is stamped with all the proper markings:

-REMINGTON RAND INC over SYRACUSE, N.Y. USA on the left side of the slide
-FJA inspectors initials on the left side of the frame just below the slide release
-P stamped next to the mag release

But is missing one crucial mark - the serial number. After doing a little research, I come to the conclusion that his gun might be what they refer to as a lunchbox gun - one that was sneaked out of the plant before being stamped with the army SN. I am not sure of the process, but I would assume that a gun would normally be fully stamped before being nickel plated. This would indicate to me that the weapon could not have been plated at the factory. And if that is true, if a man were to assume that all these guns were plated in the same place or at the same time - then this gun would have had to make it back in with a batch of 1911's to have this done later.

I have included some pics here so that you boys could make your own call. I can see no evidence that there is an Army SN under the nickel plating. I am assuming it would shine thru somewhere if it were there. I also see no evidence that the frame has been ground down - no low spots or ripples.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Air gun
Muffler Auto part Metal
Revolver Fashion accessory Metal
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory
Material property Metal
Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory
Trigger Revolver Metal Tool
Metal
Smoking accessory Lighter Fashion accessory Metal

I am interested in any theories and am happy to discuss them without ripping out your throat for disagreeing!

See less See more
#2 ·
Unless someone could PROVE that their WW2 .45 was factory plated (which they can't) then the finish will be considered aftermarket. Anyone who tries to otherwise justify this is a fool. We KNOW how the guns were finished. No amount of amateur assessment changes the facts.
In my profession I often have to tell people that Grandpa's knife he took off the dead German SS soldier was made in 1950 and imported.

#3 ·
Clint-
You need to look at a lot more guns, and see what finishes should look like.
The gun you pictured has been heavily polished (and the serial number and US Property marking removed) prior to plating. The bad aftermarket plating is obvious to anyone with a knowledge of firearms finishes. The factory lines are blurred.
BTW- posession of a gun with a removed serial number is a felony. This isn't a "lunch box" gun.

#5 ·
Lunch box guns were made from scraped and rejected parts before they received the inspectors stamp. Sorry to say that is not a " Lunch Box " gun. It is one that someone was afraid the government would come knocking on the door with a warrant ( the US Army Prop. , markings ). As Bill said, because the markings and serial numbers have been removed it is an illegal gun. If you keep it you are breaking the law, if you sell it you are breaking the law, if you drop it in a lake you are breaking the law ( destroying evidence ) Don't know what you are going to do with it, no suggestions from me.

#6 ·
Pass on it all together. If you want a nickel plated gun, there are a few available out there. Otherwise, buy one and have it plated. Stay away from this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.