Remington Rand National Match

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by det45, Aug 29, 2011.

1. det45

det45 New Member

I have a buddy that is thinking about selling his Remington Rand National Match 1911 Pistol he inherited from his late dad. His dad was an armored for the U.S. Army back in the fifties and sixties. This gun was assembled back in the early sixties for Government sponsored match competitions. His dad won numerous competitions with this pistol. Also I had the privilege of shooting this pistol a month ago and it is a tack driver @ 50'. The slide is a Remington rand and the lower is a colt. Date of manufacture for the serial number was from 1918. S/N 443XXX. This gun has the high ramp front sight, adjustable rear Bo-Mar sight, C.Linza Barrel bushing, etc. I would say this gun is in 95% condition. Can anyone help me with the history and/or the value of this pistol?
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I can't give you a value as I haven't kept up with these pistols since doing this article. Someone will be along shortly to give you a value so you may want to add a couple of pictures.

History of the National Match 1911 Pistol.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=43503
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Unfortunately, the collector value is about nil, but there is a market for good target pistols. I would say $600-800 depending on condition, but expect to hear from others.

The value might be enhanced by documentation on his father, matches won with that pistol, etc.

Jim
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  4. det45

det45 New Member

Wow! Seems like that's a low ball price! I know that this gun is at least worth something more than $800.00 bucks being that it is an original match pre-1911A1 "U.S. Property Marked" pistol. I was at a gun show last month and one table was selling their plain Jane 1991A1 Series 80 pistols for $1,100.00 Don't get me wrong, I welcome and value your opinions but it's like the old saying, "It depends on what side of the table the gun is on determines the value". I have been looking around the web (including this site) to see what info I can find on this pistol. One site had a Remington Rand just like the one my buddy has (a later production pistol) for $1,480.00 My buddy wants to trade his Remington Rand 1911 for my DPMS Car-15 A3 and seven 30 round magazines. Do you all think that's a fair deal?
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Where Jim is coming from is that your 1911 is a parts gun (mismatched frame/slide) that has been put together by some armorer, maybe service, maybe not. It is not what is considered a "National Match", (only Colt made them) but rather a accurized service pistol for use in match competition. I've owned a number of them over the years, including a couple checked out to me when I was on active duty and shot on a service pistol team. I currently have one built on a matching M1911 (not an 1911A1) and it is not worth as much as an original 1911 that hasn't been messed with. They are great pistols, quite accurate, but not highly valued as a collectible because they are not as originally issued.
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I did this article in 2003 as I recall so these prices will be low. I had posted the link but I guess it was ignored so here's a small part.

" The problem with the "National Match" pistols is that there are two kinds: the "National Match" pistols which were built by government armorers for the Army Marksmanship Unit for the Camp Perry competition, and the Colt National Match pistols which were produced by Colt for the retail market. An example of the government-built pistols is the "Drake Slide National Match" worth about $1200 in 100% condition.

The old National Match Colts made between 1933 and 1941 bring $2700 to $3600 in 100% condition. The models with adjustable sights bring approximately $700 more. These pistols differed from the standard grade because they incorporated a match barrel, checked trigger, checked mainspring housing, walnut stocks and the internal parts were hand-honed. Also included on later versions were a ramped front sight and an adjustable rear sight. These models were marked "NATIONAL MATCH COLT Automatic Calibre .45" on the left side of the slide. During World War II, the National Match Model was discontinued, but resumed in 1957."

Without seeing pics of the pistol and having an accurate description, it will be almost impossible to put a value on it. But, I feel $800 is low. These historic pistols have developed a following and collector interest is growing.
  7. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Actually, given your descriptions I believe there are three kinds. The two you described and the third are those built by a service armorer for other than the AMU at Camp Perry. The ones I've had were more than likely built by Navy armorers and used by local command pistol teams. They never got near Camp Perry. The mods included a match barrel and bushing, peening and honing of the rails, a trigger/sear job, adjustable sights and other tweaking.
    I'm sure that one documented to the AMU would definitely bring a substantial premium. The one I currently have was rebuilt at Augusta Arsenal, but there's no way of telling if it was "accurized" at that time or at a later date in a local armory, or, for that matter, by the military at all. It still shoots very well.
  8. det45

det45 New Member

Thanks all for your valuable information. My buddy backed out of the deal and I ended up not getting the Remington pistol. Oh Well. Anyway the only 1911 I have that is worth any value is my stainless Detonics Combat Master Mark 6 (New in Box) with original owners manual, un-opened tube of CLP, and original receipt. (1979 Production, Seattle WA.) This detonics is in 100% condition and has the best trigger pull I've ever felt on a 1911. I've seen these pistols going for $1200.00 on-line. What do you all think?
  9. det45

det45 New Member

Well its November 2011 and I finally talked my buddy into trading my AR-15 for his dad's Remington Rand I described at the beginning of this thread. This pistol won many competions in the early sixties. The frame is a non-A1 colt from 1912. The slide is a Remington Rand. Great gun and I'm happy. :)
  10. gmc89vett

gmc89vett New Member

C.Linza is for a gun smith who made gun for a few expert shooters. My father was one of the few he made guns for, and was very good friends with MR Linza. We haven't spoken with MR linza in a few years, I believe he is living in a nursing home at this time. I hope you enjoy the pistol. If you would like more info I can have my father provide more.