Remington Rand Value ?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by RRWW, Oct 21, 2010.

1. RRWW

RRWW New Member

I just recently bought this gun and I'm wondering how I did. I paid $750 for it. Just wondering if anyone could tell me a little more about this fine piece of history. Thanks Again
    (RIGHT SIDE)
    UNITED STATES PROPERTY
    M 1911A1 U.S. ARMY
    NO. 1419177

(LEFT SIDE)

REMINGTON RAND INC
    SYRACUSE NY USA

FJA over the trigger

P by the safety

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

To my knowledge remington rand did not make any original 1911s nickel plated, so somebody seriously devalued it by nickeling it. In original condition they are going on brandx for between 900 and 1400 bucks, even more for the national match model (24-2500). Since yours has most likely been tampered with it would likely get 500-700 (this is prolly a little optimistic).

I could be wrong about the nickel plating but I dont think I am...
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Its a 1944 R/R. None were plated.
  4. denny 714

denny 714 Member

If you purchased the above Remington Rand for a gun to shoot and defend yourself with as well as target practice, you did O.K. ........But, Remington Rand never made any other finish than a parkerized(dull, sandblasted green or gray) so if this is a collection piece, the plateing took all collector value away...It's only good for a shooter. This is what a Remington Rand should look like:[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG] However, yours is sure is a good looking .45 and it should shoot like a dream.!!!!
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats a damn fine lookin rand there denny. I likes!
  6. ghrit

ghrit New Member

It has been messed with, and not all that elegantly. There are pits visible on the left side of the slide ahead of the serrations, and the edges that would normally be sharp on the front of the slide are, ah, "blended." If I hired someone to polish it and plate it, he'd have to be more skilled or he would eat the job. The grips look like maybe Colt, not military. That said, that is what I think I see in the pix, but sure could be dead wrong. You have a shooter, if the internals are in good shape and not buggered up with a Dremel.

I'd refuse to guess at the value without knowing how she runs. JLA is probably on with his doubts; me, too.

Let us know how she behaves when you get her out.

Denny, I have a home for her if she's lonely--
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I think that pistol has been converted to a lightweight model. All that heavy grinding, buffing and polishing must have taken off at least six ounces of steel! As I shooter I put a value on it of $475.
  9. RRWW

RRWW New Member

The $750 I paid was Canadian. We do seem to get hosed up here for some reason. I just bought it for a shooter. I love the new 1911's but can't help but appreciate an old workhorse too. Thanks again for all the information.