remington roller block rifle 45/70

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by sewerman, Jan 1, 2011.

1. sewerman

sewerman New Member

any remington roller block shooters out there?

i've been thinking on getting one in 45/70.

i have read the sharps rifle has fouling issues after 6-7 rds fired.
    i know the sharps 1858-1863 were paper cutters and can understand the reason for fouling with this model. unless i have misunderstood the articles the cartridge gun fouls too. i figured the roller block would be less prone to fouling & have always liked the remington.

what issues might the remington suffer from?

any feed back is appreciated............

S.M.
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I have a Pedersoli Rolling Block Rifle in 45-70 Government caliber. I have not shot any black powder loads in her though. I use mild load 405 grain Laser Cast bullets in mine. It has a 30" octagon barrlel and pistol grip stock. I like it a lot. It also has a tunnel sight on the front and a creedmore tang sight. Good shooting girl she is.:D
  3. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I have 3 45/70 sharps and a 50/70 springfield/remington rolloing block. I have never had a fouling problem with any of the sharps and have had in the 50/70 rolling block. The fouling is lead fouling so both styles will foul is using soft lead. I shoot BP in both and BP substitutes as well with no powder fouling in either. The 50/70 has been cut down due to bad last 2 inches of the barrel however except for that and the front sight it is all original.
  4. sewerman

sewerman New Member

this is from the shiloh sharps forum:

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:10 am Post subject: New 1863 Carbine in .54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Greg and Ken,

The bushing sleeve fitted to the chamber of my barrel is completely removable with the breech block removed from the action. There is a small tool with the rifle to remove the sleeve if it becomes tight from fouling.
    The breech block does have a removable plate on the front of it. This comes off to facilitate cleaning. This plate can be a problem in that fouling can build up behind it forcing the plate forward and making the breech block hard to open. Greasing well behind the plate and excluding air from loads as much as possible reduces the fouling and reduces this problem.
    I have two later Farmingdales
    45/70 Montana Roughrider s/n 2690
    45/110 LRE s/n 4635
    I'd be happy to post their markings if of interest. And I am keen to find out their approximate manufacture dates if anyone can guesstimate this for me from their experience.
    I think s/n 896 must be 1976 or 1977?
    Cheers

from my understanding some companies use a sleeve or bushing others use an "o" placed into a groove on front face of the breech block.

both address the need to prevent fouling of the action from B.P. usage.

hope this helps.....

S.M.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Seems like that piece is for the 1863 Sharps, that used loose powder and a cap. The 1874 Sharps, that used fixed cartridges, doesn't have that.
  6. PRNY

PRNY New Member

I shoot an original Sharps New Model 1863 in 50/70 and never had an issue with fouling. Great rifle.