Remington Rolling Block identification and value

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Aryana, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Aryana

Aryana New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here and hoping you can help me learn more about my rifle.

My grandfather had this rifle stored for the past 40 years in San Francisco. It was covered in rust, so I took it apart and cleaned it up. Here's what I know:

Barrel is about 33.5", 35" with the chamber
    3 line patent marking with the latest date being 1873 (maybe 1874, really pitted!)
    Left side of the barrel has a faint "B"
    Left side of both the top and bottom stock tangs on the receiver have serial markings "E61190"
    Right side, lower tang has a modified "F" stamped
    "X" marking to the right of the chamber
    "U" stamped on barrel bands
    "315" engraved on right side of the stock
    "22" engraved on the stock, under the receiver tang mount
    Caliber seems to around .45
    Rear sight has "1-2-3-4" markings on left side
    Extractor is pinned, not screwed
    When you close the block, the hammer stays cocked and ready to fire

Here is a link to an album with lots of photos: http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/aaryana/Remington/

Thanks for the help! I'm a M1911 guy and don't know much about old rifles!
    [​IMG]
  2. MarkB

MarkB New Member

I have the same gun but know nothing about it.
  3. Airdale

Airdale Member

Millions of these were made in many different countries. I have one that someone fancied up the stock with some checkering and a couple of small inlays in 7mm mauser. Took it to my gunsmith for cleaning and safety check and apparently it isn't worth much but he test fired it so I have a toy to try out before returning it to retirement.

There were some factory sporterized versions that may be worth a lot more but I had trouble finding info on those.
  4. Aryana

Aryana New Member

I've searched for definitive info on identifying the origin and it's proving hard. I'm guessing it's chambered in Spanish .43 but will have to cast the chamber to know for sure. I was hoping someone might be able to tell by the features and markings what country it was made for.