Remington Rolling block Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by n7ude, Sep 18, 2012.

1. n7ude

n7ude New Member

I need help identifying a Remington rolling block pistol. I have searched the net and have yet to see this model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What I think is that this was originally a Remington #4 rifle. I can not find anything about Remington doing this conversion. Maybe someone privately commissioned the build, or a Remington prototype?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Goody

Goody Member

3. n7ude

n7ude New Member

If you look at the left side of the 2 pistols you will see they are not the same. I have spent hours looking a pictures and can not find one that matches this one.
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF n7ude, and you are correct; the action is from a No. 4 boy's rifle.

If there was any doubt, the partial address where the tang was cut makes it obvious.

http://rollingblockparts.com/no4.html

As you may know, this also makes it an illegal gun...
  5. n7ude

n7ude New Member

Illegal maybe, In the early 1900's Remington collected up these rifles and converted them to pistols. If this is the case It is a legal pistol. If this was a private conversion it would depend on several factors.
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Why would Remington ever have done that? The little No. 4 was one of their best sellers then.

Here's a couple of No. 4s (bottom two) I made up in early 1960s, before I knew better (and before digital cameras)

The top ones were from Hopkins & Allen actions. In those days such actions missing stocks, etc. were at most gun shows.

Attached Files:

7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

While I don't want to appear to be condoning a possible law violation, I find it hard to imagine BATFE dropping everything to track down a possible violation involving a single shot .22 that might have occurred 100 years ago.

An interesting gun.

Jim
  8. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

I certainly agree Jim, and the online auctions sometimes list such examples.

This one was obviously a "labor of love" and not a "bubba" job!
  9. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Neat little gun. I like imaginitive reworks & the use of ivory sets it off well.
  10. Max Donovan

Max Donovan Member

I believe that the 1901 22LR target pistols Remington made were made from overrun frames from the 1871 Army pistol contract or one of the Navy pistol contracts. Look in Flayderman's Guide.
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. The No.4 Rolling Block Rifle went into production in 1890, so this one could be old enough that it's not a "gun" according to US laws.

Don't know without having the serial number, and even then I don't have the info on hand to match the number to a date of manufacture.