1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Remington Rolling Block?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 45Smashemflat, Dec 6, 2005.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

I have not seen this one, but my Dad has found a old Remington Rolling Block. The only markings are Remington Firearms, Ilion, NY. There is a number 101802 marked on it, which I take as a serial number. Along with a 32 on the barrel, written "sideways." I guess this makes it a 32 short or a 32 long?

Per the phone call the rifle appears to be in fair shape, no rust. Some old pits up around the front sight. No idea on bore condition.

Any ideas what it might be worth? What about ammo, can you still get any anywhere?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

There is just not enough info on this one. Are there any patent dates on the tang or anywhere else? Anything under the stock? Number of barrel bands and barrel length? Gonna need a photo on this one. Want to know why? Go to the google search at the bottom of the page and type in exactly as I write it, with quotes "remington rolling block". See how many different ones there are out there. Some are worth money and some are not, but there is not enough info to go on. Is this a centerfire?
  3. 45Smashemflat

Thanks IPT, I'm trying to get more info as I type. Since the server was down, I hit Gunsamerica and discovered the plethora of Rolling Blocks - ouch!

Dad thinks its a centerfire - but I'm not so sure. I have not seen it - yet.
  4. 45Smashemflat

A bit more information -

It is a rimfire.

It has a full octagon barrel, 22" long - no barrel bands.

There is no forearm screw for takedown, as I saw in some other pictures on auction sites. The overall length of the rifle is 37" - the forearm is 9".

There are no numbers on the gun except a 32, which is stamped "Across" the barrel - purpendicular to the bore. This is then imeadiately folloed by what looks like the serial number 101802, which is stamped parallel to the bore. These are under the barrel.

Any ideas?
  5. 45Smashemflat

6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Tell us about the sights The rifle is a civilian sale model, for sure, but the sights will tell a lot, as to date, model, etc. Your dad bought a heck of a rifle, and, if he bought it right, one heck of an investment. Terry
  7. 45Smashemflat

I asked about those earlier - they are "regular" semi-buckhorn rear and post in the front. I have not seen the gun, so that's the best I can do right now. I'll be up to see them next week, so I should be able to put my hands on it then.

Any ideas on how old it might be?
  8. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

From your description, it pretty much has to be a No. 4 Rolling Block Rifle. This was the only Remington Rolling Block with full octogon barrel in a 22 inch (actually 22 1/2") barrel length. It was made in .22 S,L,LR caliber, .25 Stevens, and .32 Short or Long RF. The #4 was made between 1890 and 1933.

I don't think you're gonna find any readily available ammo for this one.

Blue Book value:

90% - $700
    80% - $500
    70% - $400
    60% - $275
    50% - $200

Solid frame variations will comand a premium, especially if over 90% original condition.
  9. 45Smashemflat

Thanks Xracer!

The same fellow has what he calls a "military single shot" too. I'll be up there next week, so I'll see what it is.
  10. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Be sure to get pictures if you can, and particularly note the caliber, barrel length, type of sights, and all of the writing on the rifle. Correct ID is very important because the values on "Military Rolling Blocks" can range from real cheap (a few years ago the market was flooded with M1868 Egyptians in .43 caliber) to very valuable (Military M1870, M1871, and #3 Long Range Military) worth Big Buck$!