remington rolling block

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 130cannery, Feb 15, 2009.

1. 130cannery

130cannery New Member

I acquired this rifle about 40 years ago from a man that told me it had belonged to his grandfather. His father had inherited it in a wooden box wrapped in some sort of paper. The box has since been regretably lost. It appears to be military since it has a bayonet attachment point on the side of the barrel.The gun has E.I.Remington & Sons and numerous patents on the tang under the hammer.The last being Sept 9th 1873 Jan 12th Marh 18th. The barrel length is 34 1/2 inches and the inside dia is 7/16 inch. The rifle is in very good condition. It appears to have never been fired. The bluing is almost perfect. Please try to estimate what I have for me.

Attached Files:

2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  3. 130cannery

130cannery New Member

Thanks for the link but, I don't believe any of the posts are of the same rifle I have.
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

cannery,

I need more information about this...Like the bore size/caliber it is chambered in. the link was simply an attemp at providing you with much more info about Remington rolling blocks, by an artical in Gun Digest many years ago. I suggest you obtain one. It is difficult with out ALL the information you are asked to give us here, in the stickey note at the top of the page. Please take a minute to read this....and remeber no one gets paid here to do this, we just do it to help out our forum.....Kirk
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Please look for any sighn of US stamped on the rifle, as I think like you it is a military rifle, perhaps US model of 1871. It is a valuable rifle, so I want to make sure. Thanks Kirk
  6. 130cannery

130cannery New Member

I really appreciate your expertise on these guns and your generous sharing of this knowlege. In answer to your question about the rolling block, I cannot find any trace of US on the rifle. The cartridge recess looks to be 45 caliber and it's 1.8 inches long to the rifling.
  7. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

cannery,

I beleve it to be an 1871 Military rifle. From the text: 50-70 Govt. cartridge, single shot, rolling block action mfg. by Springfield Armory under license from E. Remington & Son. Mfg 1872-73. This is why I was hoping you could find something stamped "US" on it....

10,101 of these models were manufactured., but there is no eveidence to suggest that they were ever issued to the troops. As a result, many of these models can be found in execellent or above average condition.

Value From $3,850 for like new and your is near this....to say about $3,100 for 95% condition. hope this helps:) Kirk