remington sportsman 48 shotgun (help)

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by diehlcody, Mar 3, 2012.

1. diehlcody

diehlcody New Member

My boss had bought a sportsman 48 to shoot pigeons on our farm and he has been having nothing but problems ranging from not reloading itself to jamming completely, my grandfather was a gun smith and had taught me a fair amount on gun repair but this gun has me stumped, I tore everything down and cleaned and oiled everything and not one thing was broke or bent compared to my paps books, I put it all back together and when you push the button to close the action it closes but will not open back up its like it latches onto the barrel and won't let go...any thoughts
  2. garydude

garydude Member

One aspect I might be able to help with is it not loading itself. I have one in .410 that would partially extend a shell onto to the loading lever, but not fully. I resolved this by taking apart the magazine, thoroughly cleaning it out, and stretched the spring out a bit. Feeds like a champ now.

You can access this by removing the cap that holds the front stock and barrel, remove the large external spring, then gently pry out the retaining clip at the end of the magazine tube, allowing the spring to be removed and the magazine tube to be cleaned. I then coated the inside of the tube with a very thin layer of graphite, wiping off all excess.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  3. diehlcody

diehlcody New Member

I'll look into that, thank you, do you have any thoughts on why the action latched onto the barrel and won't let go, when you pull the action back to open it it pulls the whole barrel back with it
  4. garydude

garydude Member

No, sorry. I'm no gunsmith, but there are lots on this forum so hang tight, someone will likely know exactly what you need to check next.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! It's the best around.
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Is the recoil spring and ring assembly installed? The only area where the bolt assembly "grabs" the barrel extension is possibly the extractor cutout but there is no way that should be jammed in there hard enough to pull back against the recoil spring. It is possible the ejector, which is part of the barrel extension, is hanging against something.

The gun is a long-recoil design. The barrel, bolt and all recoil backward on firing. When the recoil spring forces the barrel back forward, the ejector in the barrel extension kicks the fired hull out of the ejection port. The bolt still goes back a little bit, then it gets powered forward under its own spring tension, activating the carrier and feeding the new shell into the chamber. There is more going on with shell latches, etc, but that is the basics of ejecting and feeding up from the magazine.

To be certain, we'd need to have it on the bench.
  6. RickCKnight

RickCKnight New Member

the Sportsman 48 is a recoil operated gun. I had one that was driving me crazy because it jammed after only one or two shots. I had to take it apart and clean it, but then it would continuously jam after that. I was beginning to think the receiver was warped or something. Then after carefully examining the recoil spring in the stock tube, I discovered that the spring was held in by a wooden dowel that at one time had a hole drilled in it. the hole had become a slot, allowing the spring to recoil too far. I decided to replace it, but didn't want to have another dowel wallow out the pin hole. so, I found that a 38 special brass case was just the right diameter, and drilled a hole for the retaining pin. reassembled it and it works like new again. I love this gun now.