Remington Sportsman 48

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 19bass51, Oct 2, 2006.

1. 19bass51

19bass51 New Member

I just picked up this gun the other day at a yard sale. It shouts great with high brass shells but will not eject the field loads. Is there some way to adjust it so that will eject the low brass shells.
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I had a 11-48 that would do the same. It worked OK after a good cleaning.

Take the forearm off. Remove the barrel. Clean and lubricate the part that surrounds the magazine tube. Try the field loads again.
  3. 19bass51

19bass51 New Member

4. Tom

Tom Member

The Remington Model 48 is a recoil operated gun. The barrel recoils about 3” after firing. It is an updated clone of the Remington Model 11 and Browning Auto-5. I haven’t looked at a 48, but it should have a similar bronze friction piece and friction ring mechanism to the 11/A-5. The friction ring is between the bronze friction piece and the recoil spring. The cupped surface of the barrel ring compresses the bronze friction piece at one end. The friction ring is reversible so it can have its cupped side up, where the friction piece is squeezed by both the barrel and friction ring, which is the high powered ammo position or it can have the flat side toward the friction piece, where the piece will be squeezed only by the barrel ring. This is the low drag position for light loads. Pull your forearm and check it. You may also need to clean the mag tube since it is the thing being squeezed by the friction ring.
    If you can’t find anything specific to the Model 48, a manual is available for the A-5 from Browning’s website. http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/auto5_light_om_s.pdf
  5. Mark

Mark New Member

Tom, I've never had one of these 11-48's apart, but I do know it was recoil operated like you mention.

Once you reverse the friction ring to get it to work with light loads, don't forget to fix it back when you shoot high brass.
    Mark