Remington UMC model 51

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Rusty Dusty, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Rusty Dusty

Rusty Dusty New Member

Can anyone tell me what a Remington m51 is worth in this condition? It has some rust pitting in patches on the slide and frame. The internals look great, the bore is clean and shiny, everything works as it should. The grip panels are in nice shape, no chips or cracks, bu it is missing the magazine. The ser# is
    PA 475**. Any help is appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the photo orientation.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That is a shame. In nice condtion those run close to or over $1000; in that condition, maybe $150 or a bit more to someone who wants to study the mechanism or wants an inexpensive carry gun.

Being a bit hyper on the subject, I will add my usual warning against trying to pry off the grips. They are very fragile and are removed (if necessary) by pushing in the grip safety pin from one side, sliding that grip piece down and off, then repeating on the other side.

I think repro magazines are available from www.gunpartscorp.com.

Jim
  3. Rusty Dusty

Rusty Dusty New Member

Jim, thanks for the warning. I studied up quite a bit on the dis-assembly of these. I ended up taking it all the way down to the bare frame for clean and inspection. I lightly oiled the parts and re-assembled without a hitch. I'm quite taken by the engineering, quite fascinating really. But then again my other favorite is my Savage Model 1907 in .32. I can only imagine what the modern day cost of manufacturing this little gem would be. Certainly not financially viable in today's market.
  4. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Simpson's Ltd. has a worn but un-pitted Model 51 in 380 for $495. They usually ask top dollar for whatever they have, so yours is probably worth...considerably less, as Jim K suggests.

The problem with guns in that shape can be finding a buyer at any price. I bought a 51 in worse cosmetic shape than yours in order to practice dismantling it; I had a minty one I did not want to mess up. I paid $175 for it, and sold it for about $150, IIRC. It was a 32 ACP.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

FWIW, the Savage 1907 and the Remington 51 have something in common - they both had to be designed in such a way as to not infringe existing patents. Even the grip retention had to be done so as not to use screws because the use of screws to hold on the grips of an auto pistol had been patented, as had the idea of a slide and breechblock made as one piece. The inventor who drove other designers crazy? Who else but one John M. Browning?

Jim