The Firearms Forum banner

Remington Viper

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  JustinHotHands 
#1 ·
Hey all
I have a Remington Viper model 522. Dont ask why I bought an all plastic action, I dont have an answer.
Anyway It quit ejecting the casings. Can anyone clue me into why this is happening or how it can be fixed. Also can an average Joe order a new bolt if needed?
thanks

#4 ·
Sounds like a dirty action that isn't allowing the bolt to move fast enough or far enough to the rear to eject. Completely strip and clean the receiver and action, that is the cause of 90% of .22 semi-auto operational problems.

#5 ·
If you're lucky it's just grim. Maybe not. My experience with them is limited but I've seen two Vipers come into the shop with problems. One with extraction problems I managed to get working for a few hundred rounds before it went back to it's old ways (grim wasn't the problem). The other with feed problems I had no luck with. It wasn't even the weapon at fault. It was the magazine. It wouldn't feed smooth and the two new replacements were no better. The rounds would just hang up in them.
Sorry to sound so negative about them but I'm not impressed with them and have been truely soured on these plastic pieces.

Maybe someone else has better experiences with them to share.

#7 ·
jamess67 said:
I dont like it either, however, I cant sell it so im stuck. any ideas on how to make it work. Im almost positive its not dirt. Can I buy a new bolt, or do I have to have a license or somthing?
I won't be back in the shop for a few days but you your local dealer should be able to look up the availability (or lack of) a new bolt. You could try it.

Its been a few years since I worked on the one with your problem and I don't remember what snapped it out of it so I'm no help there anymore. (As I said, it wasn't a permanent fix in the end anyways.)

#9 ·
wow, old thread I know - but I own a Rem 522 Viper and absolutely love it - NOW THAT I'VE BOUGHT THE AFTERMARKET STEEL MAGAZINE. ;) ($50 online)

Lol, but seriously, mine used to jam alot with the plastic mag. Hasn't jammed once with the steel. I clean it after every few hundred rounds. What a sweet little semi-auto .22

Very light, very accurate, very reliable once you get the steel mag.

Also, strip it down and chekc that all parts are in the correct position and in good shape.

#11 ·
what year is it, if it is not ejecting i could be the round is sticking in the chamber also the recess for the ejector might need to be tooled to get a grip on the spent round, but my money is on a bad ejector spring. does it eject manually?
don,t give up on it is,t a great gun when they work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.