Remington vs. Federal ammo

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hobebru, Mar 7, 2009.

1. hobebru

hobebru New Member

I hate to bring up a subject that has "beat to death", I have a question that could make a difference if answered honestly. I own a fairly new Ruger MK3 Standard. I have shot 500 rounds of the cheap Remington hollow points, purchased from Walmart, to initially beak in the gun . Since I was encounterring very few misfires, jamming etc., I shot up the whole box of 500 experiencing only 3 jams. After reading all the negative threads re. Remington bulk ammo, I changed over to Federal .22LR, Value Pack, 36 gr., load no.750; again a 550 bulk box of shells from Walmart for about $14-$15. These Federals have already jammed 4 times in the first 100 rounds. So, what gives? Are these the wrong Bulk Federals that everyone has been raving about? If so, what and where can I find the identifying labels on the box for the right ones? Thanks everone for your patience on this overly discussed subject, but I'd really like to know which of the bulk Federals are the "good" ones.
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

It is like this, Bulk ammo is what it is bulk ammo. I dont give a hoot what other's say each box is a suprise. You may get a good box of wiinchester, then turn around and get a bad. Also remember every gun is diffrent especially the ruger MKII and MKIII no matter what year. Rugers I have found to be very finicky when it comes to ammo. For instance My MKIII and my fathers MKIII is completely diffrent. He shoots copper jacket Stingers out of his and it shoots them just fine. My gun was purchased brand new and will not shoot a stinger worth a damn but will drive tacks with Federal's.
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

+1 ditto
  4. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I don't really care for the Federal bulk ammo myself. I think the Remington might be a little better and the Winchester is ok too. Like was said before though all bulk ammo will vary a lot. If you are just plinking it is no big deal but for hunting or competition you might want to get better stuff.
  5. hobebru

hobebru New Member

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Alpo posted, at one time, in response to a similar past thread that I posted and Alpo responded that Federal Champions, stock no. #510, 40 gra. bulks shells are what he has had the best luck with ...regarding bulk ammo. Sorry Alpo, I didn't go back and check that out. All of your comments are well taken . Thanks again, everyone.