Remington

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jim summers, Apr 12, 2012.

1. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    Watched a program with Brian Williams last night, the report was on Remington and some of their shotguns and rifles misfiring. It was a pretty damaging report i think they have been in the cross hairs before. So is Remington on its way out or are they to big.
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

There have been charges (including those from its designer) that the trigger and safety design of the Rem. 700 could be better. These charges are likely true.

These charges include that the trigger/safety designer (and patent holder) suggested fail-safe improvements that were never adopted over 60 years ago; and that there have been accidental discharges related to the original and still current design.

At this point, I have not had the opportunity to adequately study the matter in order to form an opinion on this matter. I will be doing so in the near future.

There are over 5,000,000 of these rifles in service. If you have or use one be extra careful when releasing the safety or opening the bolt on a loaded round.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

It was a bunch of hogwash concocted by the gun grabbers MSNBC to scare people. There have been maybe 300 reported cases of this happening. With over 5 million 700 out there that's a decent safety record in my eyes.

If there were 500 failures and 5 million rifles out there that's a failure rte of .01% not bad if you think about it. A typical car has how many recalls every car I have ever owned has hat at least 3. My last one had a design flaw in the fuel system that could randomly cause the car to explode. No one ever notified me there was a problem. That same car also had a design flaw in the breaking system that would cause them to fail.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Go to remingtons website and watch the video that rebuts the false reports by msnbc. It was mostly all hogwash.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Even if a rifle fires when the operator does not intend, it shouldn't do any damage. "Never point a gun at anything you're not willing to shoot."

And everything breaks down without proper maintenance.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I watched the show too, a few months ago. Soon after I went to the gun store and bought me a new 700! Safety, safety, safety! The best safety for any gun is the safety between your ears! If that one's not working, you are in deep do-do!
  7. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    One thing it did not point out is some of the rifles that had ADs had had trigger work done to them before the AD. No one knows how many of them for sure had trigger jons done to them but you can count on some of the ADs being from trigger work being done. I have several 700s and so far no ADs but the first rule of shooting any firearm is SAFETY! We teach in gun safety classes that a safety on a firearm is amechanical device that may or may not work as designed so do not depend on it to work as designed, always point the muzzle in a safe direction as a result of the mechanical safety!
  8. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Historically, many USA manufacturers have discovered that a product had a safety problem or potential safety problem.

In some cases nothing was done. In other cases the product was quietly redesigned, and nothing was said about the dangerous or potentially dangerous earlier versions.

Often the business logic and decision making for such conduct it that it is less expensive to have to settle an estimated number of lawsuits for an estimated total dollar cost, than it would be to redesign and/or have a recall.

The very act of redesigning can be considered an admission of a previous defective design that should be recalled, by some. {Ruger still wants all three screw SA's back for modification, and NAA wants all early mini revolvers back.} This do nothing or redesign and say nothing thinking was used by one major Detroit area automaker and by a US pistol maker located in CA over 30 years ago. Such conduct cost the automaker dearly. The pistol maker got away with it, but was wrongfully held liable for a non-defect about 20 years later that put it into bankruptcy.

I have no respect for any major news media organization. I have observed and experienced several of them trying to manipulate facts to try to lie and portray some perverted agenda on several occasions. It seems that they are only interested in viewer ratings, and not the truth.

However, there are copies of documents (that include patents and corporate memos) available on the Internet that suggest that the Remington model 700 trigger designer and patenter thought that his trigger design needed revision for safety reasons over 60 years ago.

I have not studied this matter in detail. Thus, I cannot have an informed opinion greater than expressed here. I will say that if Remington has to recall 5 million rifles, such might likely put them out of business.
  9. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

I had an accidental discharge with a 700 about a month ago. Flipped the safety to fire and boom. The gun itself was made in the seventies, I bought it used, don't know if it had trigger work at one time or not but the trigger felt much better than my other 700s. And yes it was pointed in a safe direction. Replaced all my 700 triggers with timneys.
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Timney is what I have one mine as well.

Just don't ever buy a Jewell.

Cause if you do you will never be satisfied with anything else.
  11. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

I had an accidental discharge on a Remington 700. Never told anybody because I killed a buffalo with it. I was preparing to shoot and when I pushed the safty forward it fired. I wish it was on film so I could be for sure my finger was not on the trigger. That was before I filmed hunts.
  12. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I was watching that show Out in the Wild, ALASKA or something like that. The survival group had two guns a Ruger No. 1 in .45-70 and an over and under Remington .22/.410 and it didn't fire for them quite a few times. Sucks when you are trying to get your food and your gun doesn't work.
  13. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I also saw that show, twice, true not that many of the 700s misfired out of millions, even used by US Military snipers, but some did.

It's a rifle not a hammer a defect can be serious, they showed many people who were injured by the guns. If a gun goes off unexpectedly it's dangerous regardless of normal gun safety protocol (I've been a rifle shooter for about 50 years, no accidents).

Overblown? Maybe but still a scary situation on those 700s involved.
  14. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Some incidents were caused by users adjusting the trigger
  15. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I killed several Deer with a Remington Model-700 in 30-06 but the discharge wasn't accidental.
    P.S. I hope MSNBC dosen't say anything bad about Remington Electric Shavers.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  16. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I was always thought you were supposed to keep the action/bolt open until you were ready to shoot at something, then when ready to shoot, close the bolt, therefore chambering a round.

My dad's got a Remington - not sure which model - but it's a semi-auto .30-06 that he used to deer hunt with and he never chambered a round until he was ready to shoot something. Never had an accidental discharge in the 30 something years he hunted deer.

MSNBC should forever be referred to as MSNBS.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  17. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    Thanks for the feedback i don't plan on owning a 700 can't use them here in Indiana to hunt deer with and i don't collect guns i just wanted your thoughts on the matter.
  18. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member