Removal of global sight BASE from front of barrel

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Jun 20, 2012.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I am wanting to remove the global sight BASE (I have already removed the Redfield Olympic front sight) from the front of the barrel of my Winchester model 52B, so I can take off the old finish, etc. from the barrel so that I can get the barrel & receiver reblued.

I notice that there is a small indentation / hole near the top of the BASE on each side of it.

These holes are located on each side of the base. They are NOT located in the dovetail portion of the base that goes thru the barrel's dovetail but are located near the vertical / top of the sight base and located horizontally at the center of each side of the base.

Is the purpose of these 2 indentations / holes to allow for a way to use a punch to remove / drive the base out of the dovetail of the barrel ???

I know that I can put a punch in one of the holes and give it a tap and see what happens but I don't want to damage these holes in case they meant to serve some other function of the sight base.

Thanks.
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

You need to post some pictures of your whole gun; and especially the detail that you are asking about.

If your rifle is so called 70% condition, or better per Fjestad's "Blue Book of Gun values"; you will devalue your rifle by having it refinished. W 52B's are getting rather scarce.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  3. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think my cheap little digital camera is good enough to get / show details of the little holes I am referring to.

As to the value of the gun, I am not concerned about that. I want my gun the look great, the heck with what it might do to someone else's opinion of the value of the gun.

Thanks.
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I have not seen many 52B's; ands have not seen one in at least 20 years.

Set you camera to macro (close up) an try to get some clear daylight (not flash) pics of the area and items involved.

Post Script: I can understand that a man wants his rifle, car, boat, airplane, etc. to look good. There is certainly nothing the matter with such.

However, consider this: In 1971 Gary Anderson stepped up to the 200 yard (standing position, no support) line at the National Matches at Camp Perry, and fired 20 shots that scored 200 by 15X. The "X ring" measures 3" and the 10 value ring measures 7". Somewhere I should still have a picture of the rifle and target. The rifle was a well worn, iron sighted, pre-64, Win. M70, with a mis matched SS Hart barrel, and had its bolt handle knob enlarged with orange duct tape (to facilitate rapid fire), and had a stock that was full of gouges.

Someone, asked Anderson why he did not improve the appearance of his match rifle. Anderson responded: "Pretty rifles do not win matches."
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Oh, hell yeah. My Gun, and I'll do what I want to with My Gun, and if somebody down the line thinks it has lowered the value, that's Too Damn Bad, because (and y'all all know why), it's My Gun.
  6. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I have never really quite understood why "many" (but not all) firearms enthusiast seem to have just a love affair with guns that have over the years not been properly taken care of / maintained by their past owners and thus have pretty much become a heap of rusted, etc. gouged, scratched up junk.

It is my opinion that these firearms may be in those conditions because the former owners of those firearms were either too LAZY and/or careless with their firearms to properly clean and maintain said firearms or were too CHEAP to buy the supplies or services required to do so or both.

I have firearms which are many, many years old and they are still in as good or "BETTER" condition than the day that they shipped from the factory. And yes, I do use them but I am NOT one of those persons that shoots firearms and is then haphazard in cleaning and maintaining them.

You can have all of those "collectables" that you want but if I come across an older / vintage gun that I like and it has been allowed to dilapidate into a "rust bucket", I am going to spend the time and funds to get that firearm into a presentable condition and whoever happens to get that firearm after I am long gone "should" (not saying that they will) really appreciate my efforts.

These are my opinions. If yours are different, it is a free country and you have every right to disagree.

Have a wonderful day, which ever way you choose to go.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012