remove op rod from sks for ? manual bolt action?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by soundguy, Nov 10, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

anyone ever heard of doing this? removing the piston to make it a manually cycled bolt?

any reason why?

and if done.. is there a block off for the gas port? or does it just blow freely?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Thats funny you posted this bc I just got one in the guy just bought complaining it didnt cycle. Op rod was gone. Hopefully your gas piston was removed too otherwise it just flies back into the rear sight housing and sticks there. The yugo SKS had a gas valve to turn the gun to single shot but it was only for the attachment of the grenade launcher. Some claim that the SKS is more accurate when in single shot mode. I don't believe that is the case. I think was it is the recoil is much reduced bc you do have 2 lbs of steel flying back at you. WO the op rod it will just vent out the hole at the bolt face but kinda close to your face.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I wouldnt recommend it. Removing the op rod would remove the spring tension that rebounds the gas piston and cause severe battering. If you need a bolt action rifle that bad just buy one..
  4. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

it's done in some countries where semi-auto's are illegal to own.
  5. soundguy

i didn't 'need' one.

but have a sks.. that me and my buddy traded for.

it DOES happen to be a yugo and have a grenade launcher ( 59/66? maybee )..

we were perplexed about it a bit...
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Oh then just turn the gas port off. Button in the 12 o clock position
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I knew a guy years ago that hunted deer in PA with a Mini-14.

PA does not allow Semi-Autos for hunting.

He had drilled and tapped his gas port and inserted a threaded set screw, and used it as a manually operated "bolt gun" and kept getting stopped by game wardens and checked but was never charged sice he could prove it was "manually operated."

The only complaint he had was when he removed the set screw and fired it semi auto normally at the range, that he had a helluva time cleaning the crud out of the threads in the gas port to reinsert the set screw for hunting.

So I would guess if you removed the op rod, it would be legal to hunt with in PA at least....
  8. soundguy

i've got a regular sks parts book.. i need to get one for this yugo though... am not getting the gas port shutoff to work and don't want to force anything till I can see what i am doing