Remove partially inserted primer from an empty 9mm case?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rideflhtc, Mar 10, 2010.

1. rideflhtc

rideflhtc New Member

I have been reloading 9mm handgun cartridges for about a year and every 300-400 rounds I find a new primer that will not insert fully into the brass.....only goes part way. This leaves me with an empty brass case, a shell holder and a half installed primer all together in one unit because the primer is still sticking out too far to allow the brass to be removed from the shell holder.

Does anybody have a safe way to remove this partially inserted live primer?

I use a Lee 4 stage Turret press. I can always throw away the brass, the shell holder and the live primer and start over.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I would just lean away from the unit and attempt to crush the primer, if it goes off its just a loud pop. Then remove the case and chuck it in the brass can...
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I put the decapping die back in the press and punch the primer out. I keep hearing how dangerous that is, but I started doing that because I was too cheap/broke to throw away that penny primer and that 3 cent case, 30 years ago, and I still do it now because I'm too cheap/broke to throw away that 4 cent primer and 50 cent case. I've never had one pop, and I figger I've deprimed several hundred live primers - right side up, inserted upside down and put in sideways. Rifle, pistol, large or small. Never had a problem.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

dangit alpo I never even thot of that... BTW, still wainting on that pygmy clone;)
  5. rideflhtc

rideflhtc New Member

Thanks JLA & ALPO,

It is nice to benefit from the experience that you bring to this hobby.

Thanks again,

rideflhtc
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

lets thank Alpo, If he wasnt so old and experienced at reloading id still be crushing perfectly good primers;)
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

:confused: Huh? Did I offer to send you something, and then forget about it?

Or is that (I think I remember this in a thread, some time back) about sending out an Alpo Mini-Me, that you could stick in the corner until you needed access to that vast storehouse of worthless information I call my brain?
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats the one;) I guess, since slavery has been abolished and all, the forum will hafta do:)
  9. Max Donovan

Max Donovan Member

No problemo! I load a couple to thou pistol rounds in thirty plus calibers every year in a Lee three-holer. With small primers, about one in a hundred gets tiped on its side or over. I just turn the turret to between stations, set a spare decapping punch in the case and raise the ram an inch. Out goes the misseated primer and never a bang. BUT, the problem went away when I filed a 64th or so off the end of the Lee T-handle primer holder. It was not going into the ram far enough to cleanly clear the near edge of the priming hole in the shellholder. The spring-loaded cup would catch then pop loose and flip the primer. To be clear, I filed the end of the crossbar of the tee, not the top. Good luck and keep shooting.
  10. muddober

muddober Active Member

Me too for the same exact reasons, that was funny Alpo.

Ron
  11. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When i first started reloading a year ago i was constantly puttihg in primers upside down but was ashamed to tell yall i was just punching them out,COME WHAT MAY! it's relieving to hear others doing the same.
  12. rideflhtc

rideflhtc New Member

Thanks again, I finally grabbed a sleeping bag my dog sleeps on while I am reloading, threw it over the press and pulled the decapping pin onto the half seated primer very gently..............uneventfully, the primer fell to the floor.

Filing the primer holding cup could be a solution, I have noticed the primer cup drags on the bottom of the brass frequently during the priming process.

Thanks again
  13. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

My first experience with reloading was way-back-when I bought an original Lee Loader for .45ACP/AR. This was the old style where the primer was placed in a recess in the base and then the die with the case in it was aligned over it and the primer was tapped in using a hammer and rod. Anyway, I had a box of .45 Auto Rim that had the tightest primer pockets I’ve ever run across. About 1 in 10 primers would pop while I was seating them. I just got to where I wore earplugs, a glove on the hand that was holding the rod and kept my head back from the die.
    (The biggest pain was retrieving the rod which was usually shot across the room.;))
  14. rideflhtc

rideflhtc New Member

O.K. deadin, now with you telling of that kind of experience, it makes me feel much safer when I push out a live primer with the decapping die.

Thanks for that reference point!

And thanks again to all of you who came to me with a response........it really does put this decapping of live primers into perspective.

rideflhtc
  15. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Only had one pop on me while de-capping. Just about had to change my drawers. Whenever I de-cap a live primer I just lean way back from the press. Not a real good habit, but sometimes if it's a case you'd hate to toss..........