removing front sight from XDm pistol !!!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Jan 3, 2012.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Is it really this hard to remove a front sight from a Springfield Armory XD(m) pistol ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEY1r9E7so

In this video it takes this guy 20 strikes with what amounts to a jack hammer to get it out of the slide. With the noise that that thing was making, I don't see how he kept from tearing & bending the slide all to pieces !!! If it took him 20 strikes with that tool to do that, is it possible to remove one of these sights with a normal old hammer and a good punch ?

Thanks.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

XD sights can be a bear. We Kroil the hell of them and use a specific sight-pushing tool. There are DIY-ers who end up using a Dremel and cutting the front sight in half and knocking the pieces out with a punch.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep XD sights are a bitch. Springfield will tell you themselves you just have to beat them out.

I have a hand built Sight pusher than can move them if its securely clamped in a vice.
  4. wpage

wpage Active Member

Chisel any help?
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Clamp it hard in a vice and use a 15 oz ball peen and a steel punch, polished on the punch end.. And dont love it. Whack it like it just insulted your mother.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I removed a rear sight on a XD today that I have no idea how they even got it in. I have to heat it with a micro oxy torch and beat it like it killed the family dog. When it finally slid out it flew across the shop at about 1300 fps.
  7. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Some thing tells me I'll be keeping the original sights on my .40 XDM....
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Or just get them replaced by someone that knows how to deal with em. They all aren't that bad. Its really inconsistent.