removing "live" primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

jigawhopper
    (4/7/02 11:18:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All removing "live" primers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have alot of brass that was primed a long time ago, and since has tarnished quite a bit, to the point that I would really like to put it in the tumbler and clean it again. Since primers are cheap, I dont mind wasting them, but what is the best way go about removing them. I think I recall someone telling me years ago that oil is the best way to deactivate them but I'm not sure. Any ideas ?

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/7/02 11:31:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: removing "live" primers
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WD-40 works also.
    Or if they are just mt cases you could just terrorize your cat just don't aim at it by shooting off the primers in a gun. then deprime normally.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Hangfire
    (4/8/02 9:37:53 am)
    Jig,
    I wouldn't worry too much about the tarnished brass. Recently I was going through some old boxes and found some .243 brass that I primed about 20 years ago. I stuffed some 85 gr. hollow points in and took them on a p-dog shoot, all fired just fine. I also recently cleaned a few primed 30/06 cases in liquid case cleaner, then ran them through the tumbler. I thought for sure they would be benign, but decided to try one in my rifle. It fired and so did the rest. I guess I'll never trust any primer to be dead.

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/8/02 1:52:32 pm)
    I can't recall ever removing live primers on purpose, but I have on many occasions got out of whack with my timing due to interruptions while using a progressive press, and removed primers that I had just installed. If I wanted to remove some purposely, I'd use the press decapping tools as if they were spent.

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/8/02 10:54:05 pm)
    I've deprimed by using the decapping pin, but only after putting all and anything that might ignite if one goes off. Some times I shoot them off to work on my trigger pull and put the sound out of my thoughts to work on anti flinching techniques. I guess you could make them harmless with oil, it will do the job.

I for my own safety standards do not put loaded shells in a tumbler to clean outer tarnish. I would hand polish only. This will probably get a good argument going, but I feel It is inherently dangerous to tumble loaded ammo. First not all primers are made the same, some go off pretty easily. Second, pointed objects rolling around with primers does not sound right, Lastly, Tumbling powder in cases if tumbled too long could break down the powder and change its characteristics and its burning rate, thus changing its pressure factors and safety in the long run.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (4/8/02 10:57:22 pm)
    Never had a problem easing a live primer from the case with the decapping rod in a die. I've got a special die that decaps only (only cost around $7 - $ for all case sizes. Wear some eye protection, gloves if really worried, and go ahead and back the primers out easy with the decapper.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/9/02 5:44:52 pm)
    I'll second that, Kdub01...that's what I've done for decades...never had one pop on me.

GG

SW Man
    V.I.P. Member
    (4/10/02 12:30:46 am)
    I have removed live primers with a decapping die (size and decapping die in some cases) and never had a problem, was just always very careful and very easy.
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

badboybob
    (4/10/02 3:12:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del removing "live
    Just gently press the darn things out with your decapper. No sweat, no strain, and the darn things won't explode. Then put them in your burn pile and they'll go "pop" when the fire gets to them.