1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Removing pwdr. fm factory buckshot loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dartswinger, Mar 14, 2010.

1. dartswinger

dartswinger Member

Most of you would probably say don't but I'm gonna try, so maybe someone could give me decent advice how or how much. I have an old Geha(?) 12ga bolt shotgun (Mauser conv.) well worn and beat up but sound mech. cond. that I shoot in a large country junk yard (targets galore). Recently bought some Estate #4 buckshot ammo (quite cheap on clearance). This stuff is wicked with pounding recoil! (says 1325 fps, is that hot?). Is it feasible to de-load these shells and remove say 20% of powder, is this safe (not the removal but resultant load) and will it give a milder recreational shooting round? Pellet count is 27 #4 weighing just about 1 1/4oz. Powder charge is 29gr. large flake (looks somewhat like Herco but bigger). The gun shows no signs of problems, but my shoulder is unhappy!
  2. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Sounds like a dangerous idea...... reloading manuals for rifle and handgun ammo suggest that powder charges may be increased/decreased within the limits defined by "starting loads" and "maximum loads".....
    HOWEVER, shotshell reloading manuals that I have seen don't allow any adjustments in the powder charges; you have do it exactly as published in the manual. Same type of hull, same wad, specified powder charge, etc.
    As I understand it, a large part of the problem is maintaining the exact overall length of the powder/wad/shot inside the hull. If you deviate from the published data, the results are unpredictable.....

Instead of tinkering with the factory shells, it would seem a lot easier AND SAFER to put a slip-on recoil pad on your shotgun.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  3. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Why mess with powder when removing some of the lead alone will reduce the recoil?
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it personally but what could happen... the shot rolls out the end of the barrel. Just kidding. Buy a recoil pad.